Great ways to control scent!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Marc Anthony

Great ways to control scent!

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm

If anyone's interested in knowing about some great ways (and cheap too) to control your scent, I have a few!

First of all, I never buy commercial "hunting soap or scent spray" as it is in my opinion, not very effective or economical. Three years ago, I bought a gallon of scent free shampoo/body wash on ebay for around $10.00 or so. I wash everything in that soap, including me and my clothes! I'm still using that same gallon three years later. I'm here to tell you that this stuff is very effective in controlling scent! I'm mostly a ground hunter, so I really get "up close and personal" with some of the deer I hunt. Never a problem! I don't think you can buy a scent free bar of soap for half of that amount.

In between washes, after I used my ghillie suit or other clothing for hunting, I place my garments in a large plastic Tupperware and treat them with Natural Predator's Tru-Carbon. Add a bit of water, hang dry and you have a carbon suit that lasts for weeks. I do the whole thing over again when needed.

For body scent control around my hunting area, I sprinkle Tru-Carbon powder ( a different product made by NP) and on myself. In fact, you can use the powder as a face camo if you'd like. I also mix up a batch of distilled water, Hydrogen Peroxide, very small amount of scent free soap and spray that on anything that needs scent proofed.

These are all cheap and VERY effective ways to really control your scent while hunting. If it works for me on the ground, I'll guarantee it will work for you in a stand! I hope this info helps.

"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Woods Walker

RE: Great ways to control scent!

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Good tip on the ebay soap Marc. I will try that.

I will add that one thing I do is start taking chlorophyll supplement tablets about 2 weeks before the season starts and throughout for an internal deodorant. I have no real proof that it works, but I, like you, hunt on the ground, and get scent busted VERY infrequently. I do notice that after taking these for a week or so, I will not use a deodorant for a day or so, and I cannot smell any "pitting" on me. That's not to say that a deer can't, and I still use an unscented deodorant, but if I can't smell it, then it must be very faint.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:27 pm

The tablet idea might be worth a try WW. Thanks for the tip!

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was the fact that the no-scent soap also reduces insects! I gave it to another outdoor writer I know and he uses it for fishing. He swears that the no-scent soap reduces insects while he's fishing, hunting, etc. I know insects are attracted to the carbon dioxide that the body produces, so the less you produce, the less interference with insects. The no-scent stuff must reduce carbon dioxide or it could be the fact that it has no perfume.

"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Marc, thanks for the tips, something else I may add to my scent elimination routine.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:49 pm

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

The tablet idea might be worth a try WW. Thanks for the tip!

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was the fact that the no-scent soap also reduces insects! I gave it to another outdoor writer I know and he uses it for fishing. He swears that the no-scent soap reduces insects while he's fishing, hunting, etc. I know insects are attracted to the carbon dioxide that the body produces, so the less you produce, the less interference with insects. The no-scent stuff must reduce carbon dioxide or it could be the fact that it has no perfume.

I bought a thermacell to solve this problem. I was skeptical at first, but after a weekend of camping with no mosquito bites; I am SOLD!

Return to Best Practices