scent

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sbertram87

scent

Postby sbertram87 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 am

Hi everyone, I want to get some ideas as to what you guys do to kill scent on deer calls and on other equipment like range finders, knifes, etc.
I live on a farm and bow hunting starts 9-18-09 here in Minnesota so i was thinking of spraying them down with scent killer and leave them hang on a clothes line over night the last week of August and then put them in a scent killing duffel bag. Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone have a better way of doing this?
Thanks a million

DeanoZ

RE: scent

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 am

Generally I will either use the scent wipe clothes or the spray and wipe/spray my gear down either the night before, in which case it goes in my scent tote or right before I walk to my stand.  if its a call you probably want to wash them out every so often as well.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:17 am

ORIGINAL: sbertram87

Hi everyone, I want to get some ideas as to what you guys do to kill scent on deer calls and on other equipment like range finders, knifes, etc.
I live on a farm and bow hunting starts 9-18-09 here in Minnesota so i was thinking of spraying them down with scent killer and leave them hang on a clothes line over night the last week of August and then put them in a scent killing duffel bag. Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone have a better way of doing this?
Thanks a million

Welcome to the forum!  Anyways, sounds like you have everything under control.  The deer in your area I'm sure are used to the 'farm' smell, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Just make sure the clothesline isn't in line with any smoke coming from a campfire/stove/etc, but other than that, you should be good.  Good luck, and we look forward to hear more from you!
QDM!

ksredneck

Postby ksredneck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm not very accomplished in the fact that I don't have very many kills but I was taught to stick all my hunting gear in a tote with cedar branches. Cause the deer probably smell cedar everyday.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm

When I spray myself down before walking into the woods I usually get a healthy dose on my binocs, calls, bow, etc. Probably isn't the best way to do it but it gets the job done and doesn't require a lot of extra time.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:24 pm

You could use hydrogen peroxide to wipe down your equipment.

I personally will be wiping EVERYTHING down with hydrogen peroxide or paper towels soaked in scent killer and then store everything in an airtight container.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:16 pm

I wipe all my stuff off (with scent free washed gloves on) about a week or so before opening day, then i let em sit outside for that week out of the way of any smoke, steam, or whatever. This year I will be doing the same but keeping everything in a scent free container with earth scent wafers and/or branches from the woods i hunt in. It's always good to have scent prevenative scent wipes in the field for your gear and yourself after the hike to the woods. Sounds like you have a sound plan though, good luck this year!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm

We have a screened porch on the back of the house that becomes my "hunting closet" as Fall approaches. It gets breeze blown, but is still under cover from rain.

Those scent-free wipes are great for cleaning gear and minimizing human scent. You can't be too scent-free to hunt deer.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 am

Hi thanks for all the answers so far. Next question, when it comes to taking a shower before hand what do you guys do? Forexmaple do you use normal towels or scent free ones. Do you have a pair of none hunting close you wear as you drive to the stand than change into hunting gear. Please give me some step by step details would be great.
thanks
Steve

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:43 am

Glad to help...this is my routine:

*I have towels and non-hunting clothes that I use just for this purpose...Before the season starts, I'll wash all these in scent-free/uv-free soap.  Next I'll either hang-dry them outside, or put them in a dryer with a scent-free dryer sheet.  After that, they get put in a scent free containter/tote, for me to use during the season.

*Before I go out everytime, I take a scent-free shower and dry myself off with one of those scent-free towels.  ...I then use scent-free deoderant, lotion, and baking soda toothpaste.  If I'm driving to my location, I'll then jump into those scent-free clothes that I had washed previously, and then change on-site.  I'll spray down each layer also as I'm putting it on. 

I probably could go into detail more, and I hope I'm not forgetting anything.  Any more questions feel free to ask!
QDM!

Next

Return to Best Practices