scent

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sbertram87

RE: scent

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 am

hi everyone thanks for all the help and ideas so far please keep more coming

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 am

Hi buckhunter21, do you use bar soap or some kind of body wash? If you use bar soap do you keep it in a plastic contianer to keep scent getting to it? Does the soap every grow mold since it is wet when you put it in the plastic container?
thanks

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 am

This is going to sound over the top, but I get winded so seldom, it has proven to be effective.

Like Buckhunter21, I have and extra set of 4 "hunting towels" that never get mixed in with the regular wash.  They have only ever been in scent-free soap and get hung on the screen porch to dry after washing.  I also have a nylon wallet that I use hunting to keep I.D., a credit card, cash, and licenses in.  I wash that wallet with hunting clothes to reduce the scent on it.  Take your regular wallet out and smell it right now...the deer can smell it from even farther away.  Why go to the trouble to make your clothes scent-free when the rest of your gear isn't?  I also have a cheap digital watch with a plastic band that can be throughly scrubbed down.  Take your watch off right now and look where the back rests on your wrist...funky, ain't it?  Deer can smell that too given the chance. I also have a nylon sheath for my folding knife that can also be washed.

I wash out my hunting boots with some Scent-free soap first, then give them a good rinse in some hydrogen peroxide and a couple of teaspoons of baking soda about three weeks before the season starts. Make sure to let them air dry naturally, so the peroxide can kill the odor-causing bacteria.  That method is great at getting the stink foot out of the boot. 

After I take a scent-free shower and dry off with a hunting towel, I apply an unscented deodorant (I use Mitchum roll-on) and I also spray my feet with an unscented anti-perspirant/ deodorant and let it dry before I put on socks.

I also have socks that I only wear hunting.  I wear a set of non-hunting clothes that have also been laundered in scent-free soap & dried outside  whenever I drive to the lease to hunt.  I also wear disposable latex gloves so I don't make my hands smell like the steering wheel. Think you don't have some built up crud on your steering wheel?  Take some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and give the wheel a good wipe down to see what I mean. Do you really want that stuff on your treestand? When I get to the lease, I remove those gloves and I use camo wipes to clean my hands before I get dressed to hunt.

There are some light oils that carry little odor that I use on my firearms, so they aren't smelling like Hoppe's #9.

Like I say, it may be over the top for some, but I have only been winded by deer two or three times in the last 10 years since I started this routine. Going the extra mile can make the difference in your season or even in getting your lifetime best buck.

It works for me & I hope it works for you. To me, Deer season is too serious and too short to screw around and give them any more advantage than they already have.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:47 am

Sheesh, compared to what buckhunter and cut n run go through I must smell like a pig.

I am wayyyyyyy to easy on this issue.  I do use sprays as I get out of the truck before heading to the stand.  I wear very little clothing when heading to my stands and pack in all of my outer wear.  I do frequently wash all my gear in scent free soaps and hang them outside 99% of the time during the season.  But, when it comes to hygiene.  I just shower right before I go out.  I use cheap green apple Suave shampoo and Ivory soap.  Dry off with the same towels everyone else in my family uses and I use scent free antiperspirant on my pits and feet.

Can I add that I cannot remember the last time I got winded.

I absolutely will not hunt a stand that the wind is wrong for.  No matter how big that buck is.  I will wait for my opportunity and take it when the day comes.  I maintain 20 stands over three different hunting areas, none of which is more than a twenty acre woods.  As a result, there is seldomly a day that I cannot find THE right stand no matter what the wind is doing.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 am

When at deer camp I do not have access to runing water so I use the scent eliminating wipes in the morning, at the stand, and in the evening after the hunt.

I wear as little clothing as possible on the walk out to the stand (determined by the temp of the day) and when I am about 100 yards or so from the stand I put on the rest of of my clothes. 

This staging point allows me to wipe down and cool off.  I then slow my apporach to the stand not only for scent but for noise as well.  

The only issue is, I have to be up and moving a little early in the morning.  I can say with confidence that I do not get busted very often because of scent.  

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 am

Hi every one for all that info please keep it coming. Also any one can answer this but do you use bar soap or some kind of body wash? If you use bar soap do you keep it in a plastic contianer to keep scent getting to it? Does the soap every grow mold since it is wet when you put it in the plastic container?
thanks

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:20 pm

ORIGINAL: drdaven

Sheesh, compared to what buckhunter and cut n run go through I must smell like a pig.

I am wayyyyyyy to easy on this issue.  I do use sprays as I get out of the truck before heading to the stand.  I wear very little clothing when heading to my stands and pack in all of my outer wear.  I do frequently wash all my gear in scent free soaps and hang them outside 99% of the time during the season.  But, when it comes to hygiene.  I just shower right before I go out.  I use cheap green apple Suave shampoo and Ivory soap.  Dry off with the same towels everyone else in my family uses and I use scent free antiperspirant on my pits and feet.

I absolutely will not hunt a stand that the wind is wrong for.  No matter how big that buck is.  I will wait for my opportunity and take it when the day comes.  I maintain 20 stands over three different hunting areas, none of which is more than a twenty acre woods.  As a result, there is seldomly a day that I cannot find THE right stand no matter what the wind is doing.

75% of the time you won't even know you got winded...Chew on that thought for a bit!  [8|]
QDM!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

ORIGINAL: sbertram87

Hi every one for all that info please keep it coming. Also any one can answer this but do you use bar soap or some kind of body wash? If you use bar soap do you keep it in a plastic contianer to keep scent getting to it? Does the soap every grow mold since it is wet when you put it in the plastic container?
thanks

I have only used liquid scent-free soap for decades. I started with Tink's and now use Scent-A-Way by H. S..  It is fairly inexpensive anyway, but you can buy it on clearance form some sporting goods stores at the end of the season for about half price, so it is like a two for one deal.

Hope this helps & good luck.  Please post pictures of that big boy when you get him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 am

Thats the same stuff I use and it works great......the things mentioned is what I practice plus I change my diet a bit.....no onions or garlic and more water and apple and grape juice ...no coffee ...being a woman.. last thing I need is to have to "go" all the time...besides everything I eat with strong smells I either sweat or ..."P" ..sorry that same smell....more salads little less meat no braccs as a veggy...lots and lots of fruit

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:11 am

Hi Jim i will post pics of that big boy i hope to get. What liquid scent-free soap does H&S make what is the name of it?

Can any one please answer my question on bar soap in a container.

Thanks

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices