scent

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

RE: scent

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 am

Ok to answer your question I've used both the scent-free body wash and bar soap.  I've used both the DDW and HS versions of both and prefer the DDW version because I really can't smell a thing from that bar..other supposedly scent free soaps have this faint odor, but the DDW brand, nothing.  Don't know if that really makes a difference but I figure if I can smell something unnatural the deer will too.  The bar soap I use at home and keep it in a plastic soap container and leave it in my medicine cabinet when I'm done using it..never had mold or anything growing in there when I did.  The body wash I will use when I'm traveling..its just more convenient.  I also use the DDW Pit stick, laundry wash and the HS unscented scent eliminating spray.  My ritual would be to shower in the morning with the above products, i would towel off with a regular towel, but will change that for this upcoming season and use one that has been washed in the scent free detergent.  I would dress in a pair of sweats and socks also washed in the DDW detergent and use those for my ride to my hunting spot.  When i arrived at the spot where I park my car I would change over to my hunting camo, also washed in DDW detergent, i would spray down mys elf and wipe my equipment with scent eliminating wipes, strap on my gear and head for my stand.  i walk pretty slow to my stand to eliminate noise and keep any sweating to a minimum.  My biggest issue is climbing up the stand because depending on the tree I sweat a bit with the climber.  So I may change things up this year and not change into my outer layer until I'm in the stand.  I've also invested in Scent Lok clothing so that should help keep my scent signature to a minimum.

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 am

Hi DeanoZ thanks for all the info, what is DDW?
thanks

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 am

DDW- dead down wind
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:05 pm

ORIGINAL: sbertram87

Hi Jim i will post pics of that big boy i hope to get. What liquid scent-free soap does H&S make what is the name of it?

Can any one please answer my question on bar soap in a container.

Thanks

H. S. calls it "Scent-A-Way" soap and it is available from most sporting goods shops.  It can also be obtained from on-line.

I have used bar soap some, but it deteriorates pretty quickly unless you have a dry place to store it between uses.  I prefer the liquid, just because you can see how much you have left at all times and the plastic bottle does not let any wash away before you can use it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:07 pm

One more thing I do that I have not seen is that I NEVER drive with my hunting boots on. I always change when I get to my hunting spot and change again when I am finished for the day.
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:28 am

Buckhunter,

I agree with you about not knowing when you get winded.  I do know this though.  I have shot many nice bucks and let hundreds just walk that came in from the down wind side. 

I also agree that watching your scent is vitally important, but also remember all of our forefathers who never gave it a thought and they all got nice deer.  Just seems a little overboard in some cases.

Besides, can anyone of us actually say that we DON'T watch the wind?

There is a guy on one of the hunting show on ESPN2, can't remember his name, but he uses the downwind side as a means of stopping the animal for a shot.

Just food for thought.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Good point drdaven, and I don't disagree with you, but me personally, I'm going to take every precaution I have in my tool box to be able to see deer and not be detected by them!
QDM!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

Point taken....

Agreed!

Good luck to all this up coming season!  Keep those shots clean too!  'Nothing but net'
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

woodstalk

Postby woodstalk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:42 am

Have read some great tips and practices on here. Have not seen too much on breath odor and it's reduction. Don't know if any one has heard of this new product  "HuntWiser" but it works well and is pretty cheap. Can find it at WWW.HuntWiser.com. By the way, I am new to this site and find it one of the most informative I have been on. Happy Hunting!
Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid......John Wayne

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am

I use Gum-O-Flage....Seems to work great!  I tested it out by eating an onion, then some garlic toast.  After chewing it for about 3 minutes, you couldn't tell I had either (so says the wife)!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices