Public Land Hunting Tip

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
USN_Sam1385

Public Land Hunting Tip

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 am

I have found a way to successfully get to some of the best hunting spots on public ground. Here's how: you will find that many public hunting areas are 5000+ acres. Well, most of these have hiking/biking trails. No ATV's are allowed on these trails, or horses. I have noticed that because of this, most hunters will not go that far into the area because they do not want to walk far.

My solution: I bought a 10 speed Mongoose bike. I spray painted the thing OD green and have been using it to ride 2 or 3 miles into the conservation area via the hiking/biking trail. I strap my climbing stand onto my back, and put my bow in an ATV bow holder which I mounted to the front of my bike. This allows me to get far back into the area where noone else goes. It is like having my own property back there.

Let's hear some of ur tips.

shadow

RE: Public Land Hunting Tip

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:30 am

When I hunt public land I also go pretty far in, 1/2-3/4 mile hike in. However it is mountainous, it would be extremely difficult to bike in, I would need to walk it in most of the way. Coming out would be easy though.

I have no tips on hunting public land except to prepare and stay all day, that way when hunters are down taking a mid-day break for lunch... or leaving and hikers are walking through, you are still on stand waiting for a deer to come by. I was never able to handle sitting all day. I have however been able to tough it out twice last season and I am sure it will be something I can now do regularly.

Also don't overlook possible areas or trails near parking areas or close to roads that others may overlook. I recently read that a hunter on stand a stones throw from the property's check-in station killed a real nice buck because everyone else overlooked this area, thinking it was to close to people and the parking area.
Well I guess I came up with 1 or 2 tips afterall.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

I have found a way to successfully get to some of the best hunting spots on public ground. Here's how: you will find that many public hunting areas are 5000+ acres. Well, most of these have hiking/biking trails. No ATV's are allowed on these trails, or horses. I have noticed that because of this, most hunters will not go that far into the area because they do not want to walk far.

My solution: I bought a 10 speed Mongoose bike. I spray painted the thing OD green and have been using it to ride 2 or 3 miles into the conservation area via the hiking/biking trail. I strap my climbing stand onto my back, and put my bow in an ATV bow holder which I mounted to the front of my bike. This allows me to get far back into the area where noone else goes. It is like having my own property back there.

Let's hear some of ur tips.

That's a pretty good idea, but aren't you working up quite the sweat by doing this?  I'm a scent freak so not sure if this would work for me, unless there was a place to shower back in the deep woods!
QDM!

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I thought about the exact same thing. If the weather is decent, mid 70's or lower then the answer is no. Of course, the hiking/biking trail that I ride is very flat and smooth. You can find trails like this in many public hunting areas. Believe it or not, I work up WAYYY more of a sweat walking in then biking in. I am sure that the terrain would have a lot to do with this as well though.

Also, a decent mountain bike with good gears on it takes almost no effort to move across flat ground. Even going up a slight hill is not very difficult. I put my dog on a leash and ride around the whole neighborhood. If it is in the evening, and mid 70's I wont sweat even a drop. I would sweat a lot if I walked around the whole neighborhood.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Great idea!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Thats a good way to do it! I have done that many times while hunting, however the only problem I have found with that is when I shoot a deer.. I have to make 2 trips. One with the bike out and one with the deer out. Other than that I cant really complain. Another good tip that is often over looked is hunting up front where everyone parks. I have a little honey hole up front that I usally always see a lot a deer of. Most of the hunters will go a ways back in, and the deer go up front.  However most of the time I find myself way back there in the woods as I dont like to deal with any noise or anything eles. I have also found that hunting the thickest cover works really well for me. Not only will I see deer, I usally dont see to many hunters as well. Hunt the later hours just as hard as you would hunt the AM/PM hours. A lot of my big bucks of public land have come from hunting from 11-3pm. Great topic!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Thats a good way to do it! I have done that many times while hunting, however the only problem I have found with that is when I shoot a deer.. I have to make 2 trips. One with the bike out and one with the deer out. Other than that I cant really complain. Another good tip that is often over looked is hunting up front where everyone parks. I have a little honey hole up front that I usally always see a lot a deer of. Most of the hunters will go a ways back in, and the deer go up front.  However most of the time I find myself way back there in the woods as I dont like to deal with any noise or anything eles. I have also found that hunting the thickest cover works really well for me. Not only will I see deer, I usally dont see to many hunters as well. Hunt the later hours just as hard as you would hunt the AM/PM hours. A lot of my big bucks of public land have come from hunting from 11-3pm. Great topic!

They sell carts that you can hook to your bike. This would make carting out a deer real easy. They also have a cargo trailer cart that you can build yourself for around $30 in parts. Here is the link to the plans: http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle ... bsp;  Those plans require a bit of spot welding. There are plans all over the net for bike cargo trailers that don't require any welding.

WIbuckchaser

Postby WIbuckchaser » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm

The public land I hunt has a lot of lakes, ponds, creeks, swamps, ect.. I found the canoe to come in handy to get to the backside of a piece of property. You don't bump deer and it keeps your scent down.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am

Years ago,I had a fishing buddy of mine take me to a remote location on a big lake away from any roads and drop me off. He fished, while I would bowhunt. It is also a lot easier getting a deer out with a bassboat than it is dragging one a through a few miles of woods.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:11 am

I walk into the areas i hunt .In the early season i don't go in the woods far.When gun season starts i walk a mile or 2 .
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to Best Practices