what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 am

I am warmer, well fed and I do not have to worry about...well let's not go there again.

GOOD IDEA!  [;)]

You might be cautious about the "well fed" part though......ammo in the magazine, so to speak.....[:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:32 am

I love to hunt the mornings, I think Ive shot most of my deer from day light to 12pm.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 am

I have shot 4 deer so far and 2 have been from 9:20-10:30am, (buck and doe) and the other two were after 4:00pm. (again buck and doe.) I def. prefer evening hunts though, i don't know why but i see tons more deer during the last 3 hrs of sunlight than the first 9 hrs (or how ever long) of daylight before the last 3 hrs, (hope that made sense lol) given i'm not up in the morning on MANY hunts, i still go in the mornings but never really have any luck, the two deer i have shot in the morning also came on stateland on opening day gun lol. I love being out there when the sun goes down, it just seems to get em moving in my experience! But anytime in the woods is as good as gold to me!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 am

If I can get my butt outta bed, I love the mornings....but I am not a morning person.  Once I finally get on stand, it's so worth it!

My very favorite time is walking back to the truck after dark.  It is the ultimate piece and quiet time.  I sometimes pause, kneel, and thank God for the opportunity to just be alive!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:21 am

I tend to agree that the evenings are the most peaceful for me as well.  The mornings however, especially opening weekend, are the biggest thrill as the anticipation has been building for the year.

So to choose one, evenings..
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

coach

Postby coach » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 am

I've shot approx 15 in the morning...and 10 in the afternoon.

But I personally I prefer mornings.
Wife is still in bed....kids are still in bed..
.....I don't need need to do this....do that....clean this....clean that...
.fix this....fix that.....  before you go.  

I love waking up, and going out early. No traffic....no noise.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:35 am

Me, I prefer the mornings. I`ve taken deer both in the mornings and in the afternoons, but the majority of the buck activity seems to always be in the mornings. They seem to be moving more at that time of day where I hunt. But really, any time is a good time. Remember, you can`t kill a deer from inside your cabin. He`s not going to walk through the front door!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:22 am

My favorite time of day to hunt is the last 30 mins. of daylight on a cold still afternoon.
Stump sittin since 1981

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 am

I could not do without either.   The mornings are great beacuse when you walk in the entire woods are black.  I try to get into the stand an hour early and just sit and enjoy the calm quite dark.  this is the best time to do a little talking to the big man and address some of the things going on in life.  Now the evenings are good because when you walk in you can look around for fresh tracks, new scrapes ect and anticipate how the evening is going to be.  Plus it's easier for your wife to anticipate when you are goign to be home.  "Honey, when the sun goes down it is a 20 minute walk from my stand to the car, 10 minutes to get everything packed up and 30 minutes to the door.  if you don't hear from me within thirty minutes of the sun going down i shot something, but if it's over an hour.......call someone for help!"   the last part usually gets her excited. 

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 pm

My favorite is afternoon hunts.  The only thing that i like about morning hunts more than the afternoon is the retrieval of the deer.  Being a bow hunter, and having most of my deer harvests being within one hour of dusk,  I spend a lot of time in the woods with lanterns, and blood lights.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices