what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Nubs

RE: what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

Postby Nubs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 pm

I love hunting the evenings during the early bow season, I tend to see more deer in the evenings early on. I love to hunt the mornings during the rut, I see all kinds of rut activity early in the mornings. So for me it depends on the time of year I am hunting.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 am

A new day brings optimism, therefore I like the mornings.  Besides, most of our deer are shot before 10 a.m. anyway.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 am

I love just being out every chance I get. I love the morning the best in the early season, but that starts to shift to the evenings as the season wears on.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

mb915

Postby mb915 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:12 am

Well just like everyone else has said, I am not to picky and am happy as long as I am in the woods, but since I am being forced to choose.  I would choose the morninig.  Something about the woods waking up and sun rising as well.  Plus of the seven bucks I have shot, 4 have come in the am, 2 between 11am and 2pm and just one in the evening.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:18 am

Evening.

It's always tough to get out of bed in the morning, but come noon I'm ready to be back in a stand.  Having it get dark makes me stop for the day, so I have a definite time I've got to quit and I like that too. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:56 am

during bow season first light and early evening . during gun mid day

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:38 am

I love the mornings seeing the woods come alive, but im with wanderer hate bumping deer in the dark of am, on one property I hunt I have started going in just at light and still hunt my way in trying not to bump any deer. Afternoons have been my most productive and the best part about the afternoons is that every minute you get closer to sunset your odds usually go up. Going to start paying more attention to the midday hunts, I have a friend that sometimes goes out at 10 or 11am and hunts till 2 or 3pm and sees good activity. Best bow kill so far has been am best gun kill pm.

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:28 am

Evening food sources.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:43 am

Its been crack of dawn or most early mornings for me
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:10 am

I would have to go with morning for a couple of reasons. I have shot more deer then and there is nothing better than sitting in the dark silence that slowly comes alive with the sounds of nature once the sun starts to light up the land around you!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices