what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cdn1

RE: what is your favorite time of day to hunt?

Postby cdn1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Evening hunts work best for me. Less likely to spook deer and they have been laying down most of the day so I expect to see them moving. The hard part is the blood trailing after dark. 
The mornings are great for blood trails but I just hate to be blown at, at dark thirty on my way to the stand.
Cdn1  

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Evening-- no doubt about it
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:01 am

I was always a morning hunter. While I was married to wife #1, we had an agreement that I could hunt 1/2 day per week.  That usually ended up being Saturday mornings.  I just liked watching the sun come up.

As far as success rates, I was probably about equal morning versus evening with archery. With a rifle, however, things are truly skewed towards mornings.   I've been completely done with my season within the first half hour on several occasions, and never taken an afternoon stand. I've had a few others where the deer came running ahead of the Orange Army as they came out between 0900 and 1100.  This past season was a fluke; both my deer and 3 out of the five we all took were at last light.

Logistically, I have to say that mornings are far easier for me.  I shoot, take my time getting down, call for the truck. Tthe deer is on the meatpole in an hour and off to the processor after breakfast. In an evening hunt, I'm schlepping around in the dark from beginning to end and it's always a rush to see if we can get it to the processor before he closes up for the night.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 am

Most of my deer have been killed in the evenings, but I really like hunting mornings.  Especially during November when there's a heavy frost on, nothing like it.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:54 am

I am by nature a morning person.  Haven't missed to many sunrises.  So, I would have to say morning.

I know that I have had more kills in the AM than the evenings. But then again, I am pretty selective on the bucks I shoot and as a result have taken many does.  I won't (or at least don't like the thought of) take a shot at a doe in the evening.  Don't want to have to take up the blood trail by flashlight.  So much easier taking care of the business end of the hunt during the daylight hours.

Shot my best buck ever (a 3.5 yr old 9 pointer) a couple years ago at 10ish AM.  Was just about to get down out of my treestand when I saw him across the field.  Snort wheezed at him and was pleasantly surprised when he came right in looking for a fight.

Come to think of it, I have shot all of my good bucks in the morning hours, with exception to one, an eleven pointer.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:18 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Afternoons and evenings are my favorite. I am a night owl. I am not a morning person. I have to force myself to get out of bed at 5am to get out in the woods. But with that said I still hunt every morning I can![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Morning is my favorite. I have killed deer both morning amd evening but all my bigger bucks have been took during morning hunts.
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

gbelardinella

Postby gbelardinella » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:42 am

I agree with John1961, anytime you can be outside hunting with success or not is the best time of day to hunt. Like they say, " my worst day of hunting is better than my best day of working."

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 am

I like evenings... but anytime in a tree stand is time well spent!

GAbowhunter

Postby GAbowhunter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 am

I like both, but PM is my best time...  Truthfully. I just like to be in the woods, as long as I'm in the woods and hunting I'm a happy camper! I've taken deer at both am & pm, but for some reason I have had much better luck at PM over the am. All the super big bucks I have seen have all been in the PM.

However; I hate trying to track them in the dark.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices