How do you? Get to/in your deer stand best.

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
buckhunter21

RE: How do you? Get to/in your deer stand best.

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:53 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I was watching a hunting show the other day and the guy gave a good tip . He said that if your stand or blind is across an open field or food plot , walk straight across the open area to the stand / blind . His reasoning was that if you walked around the perimiter , you would be leaving scent where the deer might be entering the area at different points whereas if you walked straight across , the deer wouldn't scent you trail until they were in that area and crossed your trail . It sounded like good advice .
I will give this a try . In the past I had always walked the extra distance around the perimiter ............
Then again , I know that deer have walked in my tracks in the past as when I have come out of the woods I have seen their tracks imbedded in mine . Go figure !

That's a great tip, but what about those deer that are sitting on the edge and can maybe see you walk across the field?  Maybe get in extra early?
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 am

What does everyone think about different colored flashlights?  As noted, deer see the blue, indigo, violet spectrum the best, leaving the front part of the spectrum, red, orange, yellow, almost colorless to them?  What if you used a red light, or green?  What does a white light look to them? 
QDM!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:36 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

eat on some needels

ok you had me up to that point, lol....I'm all about scent control, but I draw the line at eating pine needles!!!  I'm definately going to try walking in more the way a deer and other wildlife do...makes sense to me!

And don't forget gargling with the doe urine! That's a must do. [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:18 am

I've got somewhat of a different attitude towards all of this.  It comes from doing it for over 25 years.  As late as 10 years ago, I could have written volumes on all the considerations about approaching the stand, and what scents to use on your drag and all that.  I was really into it, and I thoroughly believed that deer had an uncanny sense of my trespass in their world.  All that changed when I decided to simplify my hunting methods.

1) I started hunting out of ladder stands
2) I stopped using scents, calls, decoys and gimmicks
3) I started carrying my outer layers with me to the stand and crawled into them after I was up the tree.

It was amazing.  My hunting success improved dramatically.  In relation to this discussion I can say the following:

1)  Be most careful about how much gear you tote into the woods.  Climbers are notoriously heavy and clunky and noisy.  That is not to say I have had bad luck in them.  In fact, I've had bucks walk up right after  ascending.
2)  If you can get the stand on the tree ahead of time and keep it there, you're in better shape than having to tote it in every time.  Then again, if you can place it there ahead of time, a ladder stand  affords you the safest easiest quietest way to get up to a decent height.
3)  Keep your outermost layers off until you're at height and then hoist them up and put them on.  You expend a lot of energy getting up the tree and there is a lot of waste heat that has to go somewhere.  It is better to dissipate that heat before bundling up for the cold.  Otherwise you'll have sweat and stink all over the place.
4)  Height is not such a big thing.  I've taken some of my best deer with a climber from all of 8 feet up.  I used to be a nosebleed cowboy and 25 feet was a good working minimum. Nowadays, I know better.  10-15 feet is a fine general purpose height.
5)  Climbers, with all that noise and bulk, are best set up well ahead of hunting.  I used to try to be up the tree at altitude a full hour before first light. Now that I've switched to ladders, I can be climbing in at first light. 
6)  Schlepping a climber on your back in the dark is a bit like walking through the area banging tin dinner plates together.   Make your approach as noiseless as possible by prepping your path ahead of time.  Mark it well. There is nothing worse than getting lost 50 yards from the tree and blundering around in the dark looking for it.   As a comparison, I heard a strange noise about 20 yards from my ladder stand a few years. It was about first light. I could hear something, but I couldn't figure out what it was.  I made it up the tree , climbed into my outer layer, loaded my rifle and sat there for a half hour waiting for the sun to come up enough to see that it was two doe munching acorns.  I doubt they'd have stuck around if I'd showed up with my API Grand Slam Super Magnum on my back.

Here's a story I wrote a few years ago. It might be of some use:

Treestands-- a survivor looks back
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:04 pm

My way of sneaking into my hunting stands is if I know the Deer are mostly coming in from a certain hillside or trail I try to enter quietly from the opposite direction so the Deer don't cross my trail and pick up my scent,some times I use a drag line so a Buck will pick up that scent and follow it past my stand..and it has worked in the past!I also try to stay as scent-free as possible when hunting.If I'm hunting a lower field area by a food plot I walk the wood edge in the upper Ridge Field and walk down one of the pre-exisiting trails I've cut through the woods,if I'm hunting the stand in the upper Ridge Field I cut through the bottom field road and walk up the same trail to my stand.I have done like FastEddie mentioned where I use to walk the long way around a large open field only to have the Deer cross my trail and go back the direction they came,this year I plan on buying some rubber boots to see if it will hide my scent better than me using my old hunting boots and spraying them down with scent killer?

As BuckHunter21 mentioned I do use one of the multi-colored head lamps where it changes to a red light so I can walk into the woods un-detected by the Deer,so far it seems to work pretty good and it gives me enough light that I don't trip over anything if I have to walk through an area I'm not familiar with or if I need a light to see to refreshen my drag line.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

eat on some needels

ok you had me up to that point, lol....I'm all about scent control, but I draw the line at eating pine needles!!!  I'm definately going to try walking in more the way a deer and other wildlife do...makes sense to me!

[size="3"]And don't forget gargling with the doe urine! That's a must do. [:)][/size]

Absolutely!!!  I usually take a swig of doe urine to wash down those deer raisinettes I find scattered all over the forest floor [;)]

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 am

I usually have a set of last years tarsal glands hanging from my ears. [:)]
Venison - the other red meat

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:26 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher

I usually have a set of last years tarsal glands hanging from my ears. [:)]

Ears? Ha! Let me know when you want to get serious and I'll tell what I hang them from.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[quote]eat on some needels

And don't forget gargling with the doe urine! That's a must do. [:)]

Absolutely!!!  I usually take a swig of doe urine to wash down those deer raisinettes I find scattered all over the forest floor [;)]
[/quote]

EXCELLENT! You are learning well, young grasshopper! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:36 am

I find the discussion on using colored head lamps interesting. Doesn't a moving light look like a moving light no matter what color it is? I use the green Streamlight because it doesn't affect my night vision, not based on whether or not the deer can see it.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices