Corn. I need help.

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
whubbard

Corn. I need help.

Postby whubbard » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I am new to hunting agricultural fields. Tonight my wife and I saw five bucks walking into a cypress woods through a soybean field. They stopped and browsed in that field which I expected. However on the othre side of the woods there is a corn field. I didn't see the deer come out into that field but it seemed to me that is the direction they were heading. This may seem silly to some but do deer eat corn this early in the year? I've just always seen hunting shows the deer were eating corn after the stalks had turned brown and the corn was dry and hard. Just like what you'd put in a deer feeder. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

Goose

RE: Corn. I need help.

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Here in WI you will see deer eating the green leaves and foliage on the young corn. I don't think it is a preferred food but I have seen it.
You are right in the fact that the deer will prefer it more in the later part of season when the corn dries. They will also use it as cover until it is cut.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 am

I have to agree with Goose, generally they don't eat the green stuff but they will browse some on it when it's young. My guess in your situation is they are currently feeding on the soybeans and using the Cypress woods as cover if it is thick. The corn side of the woods might be a good place to hunt this fall before it is picked. If you are allowed to hunt this area I would find their trails in the Cypress woods and find you a good stand sight to setup on the side of the Cypress woods near the corn. When that corn dries and is ready to eat they'll be after it until the farmer picks it. Even after he picks it they'll browse for the loose kernels and corn cobs that the combine didn't get and fell to the ground. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 am

I've seen deer bed down & chew their cud in cornfields before.  There are probably bigger fields where you are versus here, but I know if they are comfortable hanging out in there here, they surely do the same there.  Even though it is only about half the year, it is still available habitat.

A guy I know tried to grow some popcorn a few years ago & the deer absolutely hammered it.  He didn't get a single kernel out of almost a half-acre of popcorn plants.  None of it got very close to ripe either.
Luck Counts, good or bad

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks guys.  Since posting my question, i have been out scouting it seems non stop.  My wife is starting to question me, if you know what i mean.  Anyway, yesterday morning I'm watching through my bino's and like clockwork here they come.  ONly this time there are six of them.  on their way into the soybeans they walk through a small plot of corn and every one of them stopped at least once to eat some of the corn.  It's still green and in it's shucks, however they ate shuck, corn and all just like it was a corn dog for you and I.  I am so fired up this year.  I have deer hunted for  a number of years, but have never seen racks like these deer have on them.  The food they ate here really puts the mass on apparently.  I hope about 10 pm on Sept. 15th Ill be posting pics of my first pemiscot county monster. 
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Deer love the corn as its maturing. Also depends on the variety of corn too.  A friend of mine planted silage corn for his cattle last year and the deer ate rows and rows of the corn and corn plant right down to the stalk.  He has planted other varieties for cash cropping and the deer never ate the plant or leaves just the corn its self.  If the corn cobs are getting there silk, the deer will be eating the corn cobs as it grows.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:46 pm

They like soybeans around here as well. Sounds like a good setup. I bet the corn will become more popular as time goes on, not just because of it's food value, but the corn will offer a lot of cover when it's grown.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:46 am

I primarily hunt agricultural areas and the best tip that I can give is: Find the last standing corn in your area and hunt it!  A large majority of the land in my area is corn and soybeans.  The early part of archery is very hard to hunt my area with all of the corn cover available. The beans are usually still green and provide a good food source that is huntable. The farm that I hunt on typically has the last corn standing in Indiana!  Good for me!  As the surrounding farms are harvested, the deer tend to cluster around the unharvested fields.  I usually have standing corn to hunt into mid December.  I don't know what I'll do if the farmer becomes more efficient.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am

It looks like all the corn is going to be harvested right before the open date here in s. missouri.  Dove season opens next tuesday, and the combines should be rolling out about the same time.  Looks like bean field edges instead of corn edges.  I'm still seeing good bucks though which is exciting.  Hope to be showing ya'll pics in two weeks. 

Return to Best Practices