Attract Rutting Bucks?!?!?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

RE: Attract Rutting Bucks?!?!?

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:06 am

TMI ALERT!!!!!  Waaaaaayyyyy too much info!!!  I'll stick to good ole buck/doe urine, a grunt tube and rattlin!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:16 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

TMI ALERT!!!!!  Waaaaaayyyyy too much info!!!  I'll stick to good ole buck/doe urine, a grunt tube and rattlin!

What he said. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:42 am

Nothing like digging a little deeper and maybe figuring out 'alternative' ways to hunt!  LOL
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: coach

Still not convince.  We want to stay away from putting Human scent in an area,
but then again, we going to put human scent by unrinating or...putting used...

I could be wrong....but I won't beleive it until I try it for myself....and that....I won't do.

I do the same as WW, i will NOT spend anymore money on 2oz of "urine" for 8 dollars [8|] I have never spooked a deer by urinating in scrape or by my stand/blind. Urine is a natural scent, any kind of urine, and if you practice proper scent eliminating tactics (im not saying you dont lol) but the urine should be all they smell while in close by that certain spot if u do practice it religiously. Their have also been studies on human urine being used in scrapes and the effects it has on deer, and out of 4 different types of urine (im not sure what all the substances were i wish i would of saved the survery! :( but human urine got the 2nd most action out of the 4 and it was in competition with "doe in heat urine" and "dominate buck urine." Just some facts, you might find interesting!

If anyone has a link to that survey or anything like it ill take it lol, im not sure where i read it but it was within the last year lol.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 am

I can see it now... a new line of scent products based on human ovulation e.g. Tinks #28! [8|]  That will be the day when I go out into the woods carrying a bunch of used pads.

I use my own urine in 2 ways:
[ol][*]to freshen scrapes
[*]to attract deer by the sound of the urine splashing on the ground.[/ol]
IMO, human urine doesn't frighten deer however the scent from your pubic area will.

The use of scents is not a main component in my hunting arsenal.  No commercial product comes close to a live deer in terms of scent.  Additionally, scent dispersal is fairly limited and dependant upon the wind which may not be of much help. 

Having said all of the above, bucks during the rut are extremely curious creatures and will invesitgate many sights, sounds, and smells.  A buddy of mine told me about a buck that ran away with tin of smoked oysters in it's mouth.  Go figure!

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 pm

IMO, human urine doesn't frighten deer however the scent from your pubic area will.

DARN!  And I was SO much looking forward to hunting "commando" next season! [;)]

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:17 pm

I found something less messy and probably a lot more effective at scent dispersal for attracting bucks.  It is called the scent machine.  It is like one of those restroom deodorizers that periodically sprays to freshen the area.  The scent machine works the same way.  It is battery operated and uses scent from an aerosol can, so the only time that scent hits air is when it is being discharged.  You know how the odor of bottled buck lure changes after it has been opened?  This stuff smells the same from the first spray until the can is empty (about 60 hours of use). 

I have no allegience to, or get anything from the company that manufactures them, I'm just a deer hunter who has had great success using one.  If you think about the way most hunters use scent, it usually ends up poured on the ground, or on a cotton ball without much coverage.  The airborne spray covers a much larger area and the machine works every 3-5 minutes depending on how you have it set.  It is not some magic device, or a shortcut to deer hunting success, but a good tool to use in your deer hunting arsenal. I have seen a buck @ 250 yards away turn 90 degrees and walk straight to the source of the scent. I've also had bucks show up and start fighting to get the hot doe they smelled.

I am a small business owner, so I don't have as much time to hunt as I used to. Using the scent machine allows me to see deer that I might not normally even get the opportunity to. I wrote a testimonial to the company which they use on their website because the machine works so well.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post their web address here, but a search of Scent Machine & Common Scents will probably get you there.  PM me if you want the email address.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Cut N Run I have to agree with you I used the aerosol spray can last year and was very pleased with how it smelled and how easy it was to spray mark the whole area much better than from a bottle...I did not use the dispenser like you did but am going to try it this year..

3tail

Postby 3tail » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am

I have heard of this too but i just cant bring myself to try it enough said.

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 am

Check this out. We all have heard of or used buckbomb spray scents. They have come out with a dispenser called the Buckmister for these spray scents. Check out thebuckmister.com. They can be programed to dispense scents at certain times of the day.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices