early season bucks

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Swandog09

RE: early season bucks

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Sbertram87,

I am not sure what call you use but I am a fan of True Talker by Hunter Specialties.  It is the most verstile call that I have used. (Sorry not trying to promote any particular product)  the call allows you place your fingers in different positions to sim Does calls, Fawns bleats, or Bucks grunts. 

In the early season I tend to just use the Doe position and make quick calls in a series of 3 in one direction and another 3 in a different direction (There is no magic to the number it is just my routine).   

When I say short calls I mean short blows (blat, wait 1 or 2 seconds then blat, wait and blat) and repeat.   

I try not to call very loud in the early morning just in case there are deer near by.  I tend to turn up the volume as the hours pass or day light increases.

The best thing I can suggest is that once you see a deer and you know you are not going to shoot it...is to pratice on that deer and study how it reacts to different calls you make.  Yes, you run the risk of spooking the deer but you can get quite an education.

I am no expert and I am sure there are others who can give better advise but I hope this helps.  Good Luck this season and let us know how your calling works.

sbertram87

RE: early season bucks

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Swandog09 thanks for the info and the good idea to practice on a deer i do not want to shoot i will keep every oen posted as to how i do
good luck to every one here

Previous

Return to Best Practices