early season bucks

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
wiqdma

RE: early season bucks

Postby wiqdma » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Absolutely.  Rattle and call... call and rattle.  Deer are curious and vocal all year long.  I have called in bucks up to 170+ in September with antlers.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:47 pm

My self, I havent really done much calling in the early season.. Ive called more during the later part of the season and Ive done very well. It hasnt always worked, but sometimes it does.. If you are able to snag a copy of the equipment issue of D&DH they have a great artical in there about calling deer. I read the article today, I believe it said try some light sparing (rattling) and some grunts.. I know it said sparing but Im not 110% on the sparing part.. I would deff check it out if your able to snag a copy.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm kind of echoing what OHhunter said but I dont call in the early season at all until the pre-rut at the earliest.  This is just me, but I've had no success with it in the past.  I gave it up a few years ago and have killed my fair share of deer just sitting on trails leading to food sources.  Thats your best bet JMO.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Even as curious as they are, I don't tend to do much calling/rattling till mid to late October.  Don't get me wrong, these tactics probably can work early season, but from my experience you're more likely to spook and educate them more when you start that early. 
QDM!

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 am

Early season success will depend on if you set up on these bachelor groups. I do not call unless I hear a grunt or two. Don't want to do something that is out of the norm in the woods. I like to sit in thickets during this time and just hunt transition areas. Wait for them coming back to their bedding areas. I like to hunt right inside their bedrooms. Try to be scent free as you can.

Good luck

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:35 am

hi everyone thanks for all the help and ideas so far please keep more coming

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:24 am

Our season doe'nt even start until Oct 17th...this year...but learned along time ago not to call or rattle until I actually see a buck that I want to turn from some distance....there are so many hunters here and close that ...well at times it sounds like an instructional tape playing out there[8|]...this usually gets the doe all spooky...and with out my doe I'm not seeing buck...during the rut I'll use the bleat can...

down at camp is a differant story...there I've had luck blind calling and ..I think it's funny they came out with the "buck roar" call....12 or so years ago I heard a buck coming at me as I was walking and he was click click clicking the whole time...passed me at 10paces and was so intent on his mission payed me no mind...I recognized that sound and searched all over until I found it....a little metal box on a wooden stick...it was the sound that new years eve party favors make...I put camo tape on it and that tuned out any matalic ...ping it had ....I use it just before the rut and after during muzzle season....it works

Funniest calling during bow season I've ever heard was the sound of a chain saw starting and stopping...drove me nuts!...got out of my stand and walked to the property line...glassed where I heard the sound and just barely spotted it....guy sitting in his stand pulling the cord on this little chain saw...bow hang next to him...OK what ever...was'nt as funny then but it makes me smile every time I piture it.....

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 am

I am a fan of calling in early season.  Not to aggressive (just contact calls).  I believe that most of the deer that I see in the early season are due to it.  It also helps me keep focused on hunting and not day dreaming. 

Can't say early season rattling has help me much but calling sure has.

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:11 pm

the only call I will use during early season will be a doe in distress or a fawn in distress... it will bring either a curious buck or a worried doe.

sbertram87

Postby sbertram87 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Swandog09 what kind of contact calls are you talking about, please list them.
thanks

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices