Will you wait for a mature buck?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Stickman

RE: Will you wait for a big buck?

Postby Stickman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:23 am

Since I have been hunting for a number of years I will only shoot older mature bucks unless it is a monster. Otherwise old bucks or young does.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:43 pm

[font="Tahoma"]I wait for the big buck, but I don't want to. My problem is, since I started using trail cameras, I KNOW there is a big (or bigger) buck on our land. So bucks I would normally have no problem shooting, I pass on, waiting for the monster I saw on the camera to come by. Then I end up not getting a buck that year because I "passed" on the average bucks.[/font][:@]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Precisely why I don't use cameras. I don't want to be in that situation. Not yet anyway.[:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:39 pm

A number of people have rationalized shooting smaller bucks by saying something to the effect of, "if I don't shoot it, then someone on a neighboring property will."  So, it's the neighboring hunters that make you shoot?  They are driving your decision as to what is an acceptable buck to shoot?  They are probably saying the same thing.  Plus, if you shoot an immature buck and they do too, then one that would have lived another year is in your freezer.

No one should use the excuse that my neighbors made me do it.

Jeff Gochenour

Postby Jeff Gochenour » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 am

Do you wait for big bucks or find them and then set up on them? There shouldn't have to be an "excuse" to shoot small bucks. I eat what I kill and I prefer young bucks and young does. Do people usually prefer their beef "old or mature" or young? I enjoy shooting older bucks for one reason only and that is for the accomplishment. Anymore thats not reason enough as that is not why hunt.

GAbowhunter

RE: Will you wait for a mature buck?

Postby GAbowhunter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 am

[font=arial]I take 1 One doe each year for meat, the rest of the year I am Rack hunting for a 150 class or better, but in GA a 150' buck is hard to come by and it's getting worst every year . The insane nuts at the GA DNR allow each hunter to take 10 does and 2 bucks every season. The DNR could care less about building a better heard, they must be in the Auto insurance industry's pocket trying to wipe out the heard to save themselves money.[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]Each year I see fewer and few deer, if I saw 100 or 200 deer every year I might could understand a 12 deer limit.[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]I made myself a promise, if I ever win the lotto I'm going to move to either Alaska, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or BC where there are still hundreds of miles of wilderness, where any roads will be of dirt, where there is no electric power. [/font]

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 am

My philosophy goes like this:

If it doesn't get me excited, thinking of how I will retell the story to my friends and family, then it (the buck) isn't big enough.

Nothing ticks me off more than asking someone if they got a buck and they answer with a lack luster, ho-hum "yeah, took a six".  Well geez.....lets not get all worked up about it.

This is supposed to be fun and if it doesn't get me excited then I figure it may just make someone elses year.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Previous

Return to Best Practices