Your setups?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

Your setups?

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:03 pm

What are your tree stand setups like...how are they configured, what ancillary equipment to you bring up with you and how is it stored while up on stand.  looking for some suggestions to reconfigure my setups.  I use a lone wolf climbing stand with my quiver attached to the right side of it.  I screw in a Primos bow hanger on the left side of the tree at 45 degree angle for my bow and also hook my day pack to it.  I have my buck-roar grunt caller strapped to my wrist and my binos on my harness which I wear while on stand.  My sense is between the pack and bow hanging I look like a blob with other blobs attached tot he side of the tree...do the deer notice...not sure?  I'm thinking about tucking my day pack underneath my seat and maybe strapping the quiver on the tree directly behind and above my head.  The grunt tube I will probably wear around my neck or hang it from the bow hanger.  Lets hear about your setups!

wiqdma

RE: Your setups?

Postby wiqdma » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Wow!!!! You have a lot of stuff.  I hang my antlers and grunt tube up as well as my quiver.  Keep a range finder in front pocket.  Binocs around neck.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I have a fanny pack...it gets strapped to the tree with climbers...on hooks in built stands and armrest on the ladders....All my hunting clothes have big pockets and pants have leg pockets....all stands have their own nylon pull-up rope and I carry my seat on my belt with quiver...quiver is strapped to the tree as well

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks wiqdma and msbadger...you both mentioned hanging packs, calls, and quivers on the tree...what exactly are you hanging them on...a hook that screws in or straps to the tree?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm strapped in, my bow is on a 3 piece EZ hanger from realtree hanging right in my lap maybe a little to my left,quiver is on my bow,release attached to string loop, my grunt tube and rattling bag are on the ez hangers hooks(rattling bag closest to tree) my backpack is on a tree peg behind the tree, my can call is in my right upper pants leg pocket, my windictor is in my right middle pants pocket, I have natural doe urine (non estrous) in my left pants pocket that I spray on my boots before walking in and on occasion Ill spray a couple of squirts from my stand. My rangefinder is attached to my harness and if I am sitting on a field binoculars will be strapped to my chest.
Then if I have my camera and arm with me..........
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Goose, sounds like we share a similar setup, with the exception of the pack...but I might try your way as well.  forgot to add I wear a hand muff warmer around the waist which has pockets in it for my windicator, doe urine, grunt call, pocket knife.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 am

We use ladder stands and try to face them away from the direction deer will be coming - trying to use the tree to hide us and our movements.

I hang my bow from a hanger attached to the tree, my quiver get's hung off one side of the stand or on another hanger attached to the tree.  My pack gets hung off the side of the stand or off the front gun rail facing toward me so I have access to things inside it. 

While hanging things off the stand may cause it to look like a "blob" in the tree, I like to think these things also help mask my movements, so it is a trade-off.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:03 am

I don't take anymore than I can carry in my pockets, I have my binocs strapped on, a can call in on pocket, a grunt tube around my neck usually tucked under my binocs, and sometimes a rattle bag that I will keep in my cargo pocket on my pants.  I only use a bow hanger when I plan on rattling or when it is very cold otherwise I will be holding it.  I also carry a range finder in my cargo pockets.  I usually range several landmarks so I don't have any extra movement when deer do approach.  If it's hot out I carry small spray bottle of scent killer and on morning hunts I bring a couple apples. 

If it's a dark til dark hunt i will bring a fanny pack with a few apples, granola bars and a bottle of water, that I will hang on the tree somewhere.

I usually try to position my stands so that the deer will approach from behind and be to my left when it's time to shoot.  It kinda blocks my movements when they are approaching and keeps movement to a minimium when drawing and shooting.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:37 am

When I am choosing a tree to place a stand in I try to find one with a decent amount of branches that I can hand my stand in to break up my outline.  I do not use climbers, I use hang on tree stands with screw in tree steps.  I can go up just about any tree I want.  I wear a fanny pack positioned on the left side of my body because I am right handed and it will not interfere with drawing my bow.  I keep my binocs and grunt tube around my neck.  My bow is hanging from a screw in step usually on my left side and up a little bit, I keep the quiver attached to the bow. I keep my range finder in my right coat pocket.  Otherwise, knife, scents, latex gloves, twisty ties, gerber saw, New Testament Bible, cell phone, and any other small Item I might bring with has to fit in my fanny pack. 

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:39 am

I use both, hanger stands w/climbing sticks and I also have a climbing tree stand.  In either case I try to get high enough so that my feet are between 22 to 25 feet off the ground. 

If it is a hanger set up, I have bow hooks and a two 2 pcs  arm to put things on.  If it is my climber I have a bow holder attach to the base of my stand.

Blowing calls are hanging around my neck, the "Can" call is in my coat pocket.  I also have a fanny pack that I keep everything else (scents, rattling bag, knifes, gloves, etc.)

Next

Return to Best Practices