Your setups?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

RE: Your setups?

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 am

Excellent feedback fellas, keep it coming...Nubs you reminded me of something else I need to pack...a bible..and I just added one more..Thermacell for those early season hunts.  Now you all know why I carry a pack, lol.

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 pm

I always carry my fanny pack and my real tree EZ hanger to the tree. I honestly can't
live without the EZhanger allows me to easliy and quietly get my bow ready for the shot.
I could live without my pack (just fill my pockets) but not the EZhanger.
Cdn1

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm strapped in of course...My bow is on an E-Z hanger, hanging in front of me to my left.  If I carry a backpack, that's on a hook either on the side or behind my stand, depending on the set-up.  I'll have all my accessories in there that I don't readily need (field dressing knife, rubber gloves, scent killer spray, etc)....Then I'll have my grunt calls in my front pockets along with watch (if I'm not wearing it), cell phone, handwarmers if it's cold out, windicator...Then I have my release on my right hand.  Trying to think of what else...I may have to come back to update!
QDM!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 am

I try to keep to a very basic set-up. No matter which stand I am in, (hang-on, ladder, constructed), they all have one hook on the left for my bow, a nail on the right for my quiver, a pull up string for hauling up gear and a shooting rail. On the shooting rail, I hang my fanny pack which contains all accessories needed, food for the day, scents, calls, etc... I leave the fanny pack open (and organized to prevent any noise) so I have access to all those accessories and it keeps me from having anything hanging off me that may affect my shot.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 am

Good idea cutngut, leaving the zippers open...I ALWAYS close mine thinking something will fall out only to have to make more noice and movement opening them again...think I'll just leave them open this season!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:23 am

I only use ladder stands that I designed and welded up myself.   As for trees, I always try to place the stand against a tree that has a second tree next to it.  Prefer the second tree to be positioned such that the second tree would be off the front left corner of my platform.  I like this for a few reasons.  1) I can hang my day pack and weapon on hooks attached to tree.  These would now be at arms length.  2) The tree provides cover.  3) the tree provides a level of psychological comfort in terms of the height.  I can hang onto the tree as I stand and move around.  4)  I can sometimes use an extra ratchet strap around this tree giving me even greater stability. 

I don't use a lot of calls so they tend to stay in the pack.  I do like the can calls though.  I have bino's on my neck.  First thing I do in my stand after strapping in is use my range finder to establish a perimeter then I put it away.  Second thing I do is fall asleep!  [:D]  JK

Previous

Return to Best Practices