Construct Licking Branches

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunt4ever

Construct Licking Branches

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm

A very helpful practice I use in Upstate NY is to construct a licking branch by taking a 1-1/2' or 2" pipe about 18 " long and drive it into the ground.  I use both medal and PVC pipe.  Cut a branch/small tree that is less in diameter and place it in the pipe.  If there is not a branch that is hanging 5' or so off the ground, tie a twig or small branch off that.  Reference the four photos I attached and you can see the medal pipe and the hanging/licking branch.  I normally put buck or some other type of lure/scent on the branch, sprinkle it on the leaves, and on the ground to entice deer to stop by to check it out.  As you can see from one of the photos, I sometime  punch holes in a container that camera film comes in and hang that.  The container is filled with cotton batten soaked with lure. As you can see from the photos, both does & bucks come by.  I place these licking branches on well used paths, on or near food plots or apple trees near my blind or tree stand where I can get a good broad side shot when a deer comes by to sniff or lick.  This is particularly useful when bow hunting to get the deer to stop for a good broad side shot.  I have found that they really constraint on the branch when sniffing which allows you to move more without spooking them.  Another technique I have seen, is to take a stake that holds down tents and pound that into the ground near a tree that has a good licking branch.  Tie a string or wire to the branch and pull it down to approximately 5' and tie it to the stake.  Again, IMO it is a good idea to dip the branch in some lure for added value and also hang a container filled with lure soaked cotton batten.  I know of hunters that keep this arrangement all year and just use fresh lure when it comes time for trail cameras or hunting.  I hope these hints are helpful, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/align]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

ranwin33

RE: Construct Licking Branches

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:09 am

Very innovative - especially for an area that may not have many trees.

But are you creating a true licking branch, or just something to hang scent from.  Are they scraping the ground underneath as well?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hunt4ever

RE: Construct Licking Branches

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:29 am

If the definition of a licking branch is that deer lick it, the answer is yes. However, the main purpose for it is not to provide something for the deer to lick,  but to attract the deer to a spot that I can get a clean shot.  I try to position the licking branch in such a way that when the deer is licking the branch or smelling it, I can get a good broadside or 1/4 away shot.  To answer your other question, although deer have scraped and urinated under the branch, it is very infrequent and in most cases the only way I know they visited is to see them or with a trail camera.  I try to cover as many licking branches with trail cameras as possible.   I also will create mock scrapes sometimes to try to increase their interest even more and also without being grouse I do urinate in it if mother nature is calling to peak their interest even more.  What that has bought me I'm not sure.   What I am sure of is that when a deer visits the site for eating purposes or bucks hunting for does, the deer will present me with a good shot the vast majority of times.  Hope this helps, 
[size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Return to Best Practices