How Many Of You Stillhunt?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
beagleman23

RE: How Many Of You Stillhunt?

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:44 pm

WW-
  Six so far between my son and I this season.  He's turning into a deer killin' machine.  Today started the late season bow/muzzleloader season but I have to work through Thurs and will hunt Fri, Sat & Sun which ends the season in New York.  Then the beagles go into action.
P.S. I still wear Scentlok when stand hunting. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:25 am

ok, so here is what i think I'm going to do...tomorrow is supposed to be raining and windy...good still hunting weather for keeping my noise footprint down.  winds are going to be out of the south and there is draw witha stream running through it which I've hunted on 3 occasions, saw only does and cammed one nice buck (have not seen him since).  My thought was to literally get in the stream (its ankle high deep) and still hunt following the stream towards the feeding area in the morning.  At that time the deer should be workign their way up from the feeding areas north and up the hill to their bedding areas.  In addition hunting in the stream offers more concealment because it has waist high banks which will conceal my movement for the most part.  So those are the "pros", the "cons" are if its just ridculously windy (over 20mph) or a heavy rain the deer will probably bed down.  Also going against me is we are right in the middle of shotgun and the woods are flooded with the orange army doing drives of all sorts, so there is a good chance the deer are hiding and traveling through the thick stuff...and this draw, while thick is some places is generally more open timber...good to see deer but will they be travelling through this corredor given the pressure?  I should also mention this is a bow still hunt..not a rifle/ML or shotgun one...certainly makes it challenging!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:29 am

You certainly are giving the deer the advantage.  Good luck!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am

ORIGINAL: beagleman23

You certainly are giving the deer the advantage.  Good luck!

I'm sensing by your comment that you think it may be a waist of time taking this tactic?  If so please let me know and be honest...I'm all about learning :)  If anyone else cares to comment by all means please do.  Appreciate the feedback

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 am

I think it's a great plan! But why the bow? Are you unable to participate in the gun hunt for some reason, or do you just prefer bow hunting?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 am

Yeap...don't own a shotgun, so I did not buy the license either.  I actually prefer the bow to be honest, and if that was the advantage beagleman was talking about, yes the deer have it over me in that regard.  But my philosphy on this particular hunt is if I at least see a shooter, than its a win-win for me...and if I get a shot and kill, thats just icing on the cake!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 am

cool.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah I'm thinking it will be...so long as i don't drown, lol

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:57 am

Deano-
  Absolutely not.  Sorry you took it that way.  It's just that I personally would be hunting with a firearm instead of a bow during the firearms season.  But that's my choice.  You on the other hand have chosen to make your hunt more challenging(and possibly far more rewarding) by limiting your effective range(probably 40 yards instead of say 100) when others in the woods are not.  Hunting means different things to different people, some need meat and throw away antlers that I would drool over, some want numbers, some want big bodies(200 plus in true New England area) etc.  I like 1 deer in the freezer because I enjoy deer meat so I will harvest a doe if need be and after that it's all about a mature buck which where I hunt is anything over 1 1/2 yrs old.  Hunting has to mean something to each of us or it would not be important.  I throughly enjoy each hunt and it's obvious that you do the same.  You never know when you're going to be sucessful but you cannot hunt from your office or home.  Again no criticism just an observation.  Good luck!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:04 am

No worries Beagleman, like I said I'm a born-again hunter so prior to this year the last time I seriously hunted was when i was 17...so much has changed and if you more experienced hunters can stop me from doing something fruitless or add construcive criticism I'm all for it.  Don't get me wrong if NJ had a rifle season (aside from ML) I'd probably use my rifle to up the anti some...but again I'm so new to hutning again that I'm just happy to see shooters...lets me know my tactics are right, just need to work on the execution :)  Thanks again...BTW I did not go out this morning as planned...its almost 65 degrees here!!!  thats a 30 degree difference in what the temps were the day before and I'm sensing the deer will sit still..to warm to be moving around, and add the pressure from the shotgunners...I thinkthis mornign would have been a bust...looks like tomorrow morning will be much cooler and I'll try then.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices