Mid-July, What are you doing?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
69Viking

RE: Mid-July, What are you doing?

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

OK guys I gotta ask....why wash EVERYTHING, including yourselves in scent free soaps and detergent as early as August?  Is it just because of the sheer amount of time your in the woods even though your not hunting?  I get washing your hunting duds and selves prior to a hunt...but in Aug?

Yes 69viking, I have a great wife!!!

The reason I am doing this is because too me, what good does it do ya to wash up before a hunt,grab a towel that is not washed in scent free soap, then put clothes on that are not washed in scent free soap, only to get to your hunting spot and change into your scent free hunting clothes?
By starting in August a good majority of the clothes,towels, and wash cloths have been washed at least once in scent free soap.
Then when you take a shower before a hunt you'll be washing yourself in scent free soap, using a scent free towel, putting on scent free street clothes, and then changing into scent free hunting clothes.

Obsessive compulsive? Yeah I know....[:)]

Oh yeah....our season in WI opens Sept. 12th, so its not too far away!

JPH will be proud of you!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am

Before I started this, I could take a scent free shower before a hunt but if I started sweating I could smell the shampoo I used on the days I wasn't hunting.

Really?  I never thought of that either...makes sense, guess I'll have to stock up on some more unscented soap!!! [:@]

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 am

Cleaning up shooting lanes, hanging a couple more stands and practicing most nights.

Been watching a few studs out the back window of the house lately.  Really easy to do with a cold one in my hand sitting in my chair on my deck too....hehe  Got soybeans planted all around me this season.  Much nicer than the four seasons worth of corn that we have had prior to this.

Going to put out trail cams tomorrow AM, moving a stand in PM and not sure what else on Saturday.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:24 am

Before I started this, I could take a scent free shower before a hunt but if I started sweating I could smell the shampoo I used on the days I wasn't hunting.

Really?  I never thought of that either...makes sense, guess I'll have to stock up on some more unscented soap!!! [:@]

My wife starts buying it as soon as they put in on the shelf at Walmart. A couple bottles shampoo, detergent or bars of soap everyweek while grocery shopping. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:02 pm

waiting for hunting season to open!!!!.going to camp this weekend to check cameras!!! very excited for first pick of the year, eveything else is already done exept one winter greens food plot, and maybe a buck wheat plot for the fall???

other than that have to cut more wood and add some cut pines to my bedding area that i have created...but I am already ready

plots have grown great,
stands are up,
and lanes are cut,
cabin is in tip top shape with new water pump and furnace!!!

help is it hunting season yet!!!!!!!!gosh the best time of the year the couple months before hunting season, filled with promise and anticipation

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 pm

I still have to trim the shooting lanes for all my stands. I've been checking cameras and shooting the bow quite a bit. Also, we have a HOT bean field so I would like to go sit on that and get some video footage. As Goose said our season is not too far away. September 12!
Kyle

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:17 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

My wife starts buying it as soon as they put in on the shelf at Walmart. A couple bottles shampoo, detergent or bars of soap everyweek while grocery shopping. 

Brad what brands does she buy at Wally World?  Do you prefer this over DDW and HS versions?  I usually use the DDW soap, but at $3 a bar I'm guessing a no-name scent free soap and shampoo would do the same thing?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:54 am

For the longest time I used all HS products, but I started using Primos w/silver XP last season.  The primos cost more and I like better, but with money tight I might being using HS again this season. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

For the longest time I used all HS products, but I started using Primos w/silver XP last season.  The primos cost more and I like better, but with money tight I might being using HS again this season. 

I see...ok you are not using a generic unscented soap or shampoo your using the HS or Primos stuff, just buying it at Walmart?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:25 am

We moved one tripod stand from one side of the lease to the other and have been cutting & trimming shooting lanes right before a rain storm hits to help reduce our scent.

We will put in a few small food plots at the end of August (weather permitting) so they don't totally dry up.  By rifle season they are usually a lush green carpet. Even if we don't take any deer of them, it provides a good food suppliment 24/7.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices