Mid-July, What are you doing?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Ifishandhunt

RE: Mid-July, What are you doing?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 am

In Ohio (I live near Cincy), the archery season starts Sept 26, so I have some time. But honestly, I think about deer hunting all the time. I am obsessed with it.

I've started first with my shotgun, added a new scope, trying out new ammo. Will have it sighted in fully this weekend after trying some new ammo. Shotgun week is a little later in the season, but I wanted to get it out of the way since I spend most of my time hunting with a bow. Today I have off from work and I planned on fishing, but I slept in (oops), so now plan B is to head out to pick up the ammo for the shotgun, a new sight for my bow and some new arrows and broadheads. My wife is going to love this bill. I am kind of schedule driven and I am on track. Next weekend, Ill be sighting in the new bow sight and then the following weekend I go to the hunting property and rehang two stands (one new one) and reposition an existing ladder stand. I hunt private property so I can only show up once in a while or the owner might get irritated wth me wandering around on her property. But during the hunting season, she allows me to be there as often as I want. It's a sweet deal. Once I hang the stands and clear shooting lanes, then I stay off the property. That gives me about two months for the deer to get used to the stands and no human odor.

Only two other guys hunt this property (that we know of) but luckily only during the muzzle loader and shotgun weeks. Unfortunately one of the bozos used my ladder stand in the middle of the season last year and left a spent shotgun shell right under the stand. That ticked me off because until I found that shell, I couldn't for the life of me understand why the deer traffic stopped in that stand area. I am so careful about scent control but this guy is careless plus I think he is a smoker.  I know since it is not my property, I cannot tell this guy to stay off my stand, but it is 'my personal stand'. If I see him this year, I will ask politely that he not use it or at least clean up after he leaves. Would it be too much to ask him to use scent control too? Plus he seems like the type that if I said something he might spitefully go over and take a leak by my stand or do something to ruin the area. When shed hunting, I found his blind (in an area the deer come onto the property from a neighboring farm) and looked in it. He had unwrapped chewing gum and a Bic lighter just lying there on the ground and the blind was half unzipped.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:47 am

Ifishandhunt-It sounds like you have a good thing going and I would try to keep it that way.
Saying something or doing something may only open a can of worms that can wreck everything. I have a similar situation and have found it best just to avoid them and hunt in different areas of the property where they are either to lazy to go or they will have a hard time finding the stands.
Not everybody is into scent control and telling them that they should will only make things worse IMO.

Good luck with your new sights and shells!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:00 am

ORIGINAL: Ifishandhunt

In Ohio (I live near Cincy), the archery season starts Sept 26, so I have some time. But honestly, I think about deer hunting all the time. I am obsessed with it.

I've started first with my shotgun, added a new scope, trying out new ammo. Will have it sighted in fully this weekend after trying some new ammo. Shotgun week is a little later in the season, but I wanted to get it out of the way since I spend most of my time hunting with a bow. Today I have off from work and I planned on fishing, but I slept in (oops), so now plan B is to head out to pick up the ammo for the shotgun, a new sight for my bow and some new arrows and broadheads. My wife is going to love this bill. I am kind of schedule driven and I am on track. Next weekend, Ill be sighting in the new bow sight and then the following weekend I go to the hunting property and rehang two stands (one new one) and reposition an existing ladder stand. I hunt private property so I can only show up once in a while or the owner might get irritated wth me wandering around on her property. But during the hunting season, she allows me to be there as often as I want. It's a sweet deal. Once I hang the stands and clear shooting lanes, then I stay off the property. That gives me about two months for the deer to get used to the stands and no human odor.

Only two other guys hunt this property (that we know of) but luckily only during the muzzle loader and shotgun weeks. Unfortunately one of the bozos used my ladder stand in the middle of the season last year and left a spent shotgun shell right under the stand. That ticked me off because until I found that shell, I couldn't for the life of me understand why the deer traffic stopped in that stand area. I am so careful about scent control but this guy is careless plus I think he is a smoker.  I know since it is not my property, I cannot tell this guy to stay off my stand, but it is 'my personal stand'. If I see him this year, I will ask politely that he not use it or at least clean up after he leaves. Would it be too much to ask him to use scent control too? Plus he seems like the type that if I said something he might spitefully go over and take a leak by my stand or do something to ruin the area. When shed hunting, I found his blind (in an area the deer come onto the property from a neighboring farm) and looked in it. He had unwrapped chewing gum and a Bic lighter just lying there on the ground and the blind was half unzipped.

Wow, that sucks about the other guy using your stand and not paying attention to scent control. You're kind of in a tough situation to do anything about it. You do have the right though to let him know the stand is yours and ask him politely not to use it. This is a situation where climbing stands would be useful, nothing left behind for him to use. You can't say anything to the owner because she might just tell all of you to leave. Hopefully you can score something nice during archery season before this guy gets in there and stinks up the place, good luck!

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Well... 21 food plots, 8 cameras, 3 farms in Wisconsin and one in Illinois.  July is the busiest time!  Will be replacing a few stands this week and monitoring existing food plots.  Also, will plant 5 more food plots in the near future when or I should say if we get rain! Scouting every night with video camera in hand.  Antlers are growing at alarming rates. Wow this is fun!

WIQDMA

CountryBoy55

Postby CountryBoy55 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Just recently picked up a 2006 Reflex Highlander with all the fixin's. [:D]   Starting to get use to the new bow and tune it to fit me. 
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you." -- Max Lucado

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 am

Sighted in the shotgun... at 50 yards and 75 yards using Winchester lead sabot slugs and Remington sabot copper. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Was grouping slightly left and about an inch above dead center at 50 and 75 yards. This morning I woke up and reallized I was dreaming about setting up tree stands. Must be from chatting on this sight. Too funny.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Ive been shooting the bow as much as I can, Usually 2 nights a week.  Ive also been checking the trail cams and today was met with a nice surprise when I captured the first shooter of the summer, a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old ten pointer.  Me and my cousin also cleared some trails today to make it easier for us to get around but im sure the deer will use them too as we cleared them in some pretty thick crap!  Ive also been doing some scouting via Google earth on some tracts I'm hunting for the first time this year, that program is unbelievable! Like all the other Wisconsinites on here, season starts Sept. 12. Right around the corner!
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

went to camp this weekend to check on things and cut fire wood, along with build shooting table, finish molding around new window and counter..

also got trail cam pics, a little disapointed, no good bucks..a couple spikes but not one decent one, though it is early...

no apples on trees either, but looks like a good acorn crop..and with the food plots looking good things should pick up once the summer brouse dries up...
here are a coouple pics of deer in two different food plots and a family of turkey

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: wiqdma

Well... 21 food plots, 8 cameras, 3 farms in Wisconsin and one in Illinois.  July is the busiest time!  Will be replacing a few stands this week and monitoring existing food plots.  Also, will plant 5 more food plots in the near future when or I should say if we get rain! Scouting every night with video camera in hand.  Antlers are growing at alarming rates. Wow this is fun!

WIQDMA

Sounds like you found your own slice of heaven or your an outfitter...either way we should all be so fortunate.  Good luck in the upcoming season!!!

TrapperJohn

Postby TrapperJohn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:37 am

Practicing with the longbow nearly everyday. Working on hunting cabin,too.  Will hang stands and trail cameras in August. Will be trying to bag a deer with a knapped obsidian BH - which I still need to make.

Previous

Return to Best Practices