What Have You Learned?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
burnnurse1

RE: What Have You Learned?

Postby burnnurse1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:54 am

Every year it seems like I wait to long to have stands in order for opening day. This year I want to be done by August and I'm going to start working towards that on Sun. and Mon. I'm off and my little boy is out of school so he and I are heading to the camp Sun afternoon for a father/son campout and hopefully find some new stand locations!!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm

aside from everything mentioned already the one thing I've learned  is

ALWAYS FOLLOW MY GUT, wether it's hanging stands, or picking a stand to hunt I always go with my first gut instinct.  It's burned me to often not to.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

coach

Postby coach » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I once read.....

I am the hunter until I see my game.  Then I become the hunted  [;)]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:30 pm

I've learned/noticed in the past few years......

I've got a lot to learn.....
The louder someone brags---the luckier he was.....
That the talkers aren't usually the workers....
Steer clear of anyone who insists his way is the only way....
Steer clear of people who are convinced of their own infallibility...
All it takes is once........
I'd rather be lucky than good any day.....
The littlest caliber on the market can kill a deer....
The biggest baddest caliber on the market can wound a deer.....
If you say yes ...somebody will usually say no
If it will it will and if it won't it won't
It will be all right.....

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:48 pm

That about sums it up. Nice post passin through.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:41 am

[center]The first hunt of September, 2008, I learned that anything I "forget" at the truck, is in direct proportion to my willingness to travel the distance I have to walk back and retreive it ...

I was preparing for an evening hunt, as I left the truck, and walked more than 300 yards, I soon realized I had my prescription sunglasses on, and had left my clear glasses in the vehicle.

Back I went![/center]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 am

lol to many to count! haha..I think everytime I go out I make a mistake, and Ill learn somthing from just about every trip out to the woods.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:26 am

Another idea I learned, sitting in my tree stand, was when I saw deer moving from a certain area, past my tree stand, I would always wonder where they were going to bed down ...

After seeing a number of smaller bucks move by my stand, morning after morning, I began to wonder where they were coming from. I stalked in the direction they came from, and soon realized that most of the time they were coming from a gathering of larger bucks. This was early season, September and October, before muzzle loading season opened.

As a result of my curiosity, I was able to see many more larger bucks, that had been cavorting and socializing the night before with smaller bucks and does.   [;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

Another idea I learned, sitting in my tree stand, was when I saw deer moving from a certain area, past my tree stand, I would always wonder where they were going to bed down ...

After seeing a number of smaller bucks move by my stand, morning after morning, I began to wonder where they were coming from. I stalked in the direction they came from, and soon realized that most of the time they were coming from a gathering of larger bucks. This was early season, September and October, before muzzle loading season opened.

As a result of my curiosity, I was able to see many more larger bucks, that had been cavorting and socializing the night before with smaller bucks and does.   [;)]

That's it...never stop asking questions! One question leads to another. You never have all the answers, but for each one you answer, you are now more knowledgable.

The best hunters I have known, to the man,  have had this mindset. They were lifelong students of the wild. They were also the kind that if the game activity in a given area changed or slacked off, they usually either had the answer as to WHY, or at least had a clue of what to do next to find them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:24 pm

if you think that you might catch your bow on that little twig you better  clip it[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices