Stand positioning

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

Stand positioning

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 am

Just curious for those of you hunting out of tree stands where do you position the stand in relation to the deers predicted approach?  I know this can be a crap shoot but I used to position mine in front of the tree, directly in front of the deer's approach...I quickly learned after being busted a second time, that deer do in fact lookup.  Since then I now that I hunt out of a tree saddle, I position my stands behind the tree, keeping the tree between myself and the deer's predicted avenue of approach.

tnt1960

RE: Stand positioning

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am

If we are talking about bowhunting, I like to position my stand so that the deer will be coming from my left, seeing I am right handed. There`s alot less movement on my part if he is at my left side. If he comes to my right, I have to position my whole body around to get off a shot. If that happens, he will probably see or hear me moving long before I can get off a shot. 
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:26 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ
I position my stands behind the tree, keeping the tree between myself and the deer's predicted avenue of approach.

DeanoZ, that is my philosophy as well.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Along the lines of what tnt was saying, I am right handed as well and I like them to come from my left flank.  That allows me to get in position while the tree still provides an element of cover.
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 pm

I usually position my stands perpendicular to the trail, about 15-20 yards away if I can.  Also, since I shoot right handed, I'll put my stand as far to the left as I possibly can to allow the best shot possibilities!
QDM!

coach

Postby coach » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:37 pm

I try to get the deer to come from my left....lets say 10 o'clock.
And I try to find myself a cedar or pine tree.  Not always easy...but hunting in the shade I
find you are better hidden.

Preference I guess.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:52 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

I usually position my stands perpendicular to the trail, about 15-20 yards away if I can.  Also, since I shoot right handed, I'll put my stand as far to the left as I possibly can to allow the best shot possibilities!

Right on, exactly what i do.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:19 am

Hey guys, I guess I should have been more clear in what I meant...I think we all agree we want to be perpendicular to their approach.  So lets say you have a tree picked out to hang a stand from.  The deer is coming from north to south towards your tree.  Do you hang your stand on the North, East, South , or West side of the tree?  As i said I would hang mine on the southern side of the tree..my preference is to keep the tree between me and the deers approach.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 am

I expect the deer to approach from the north, right?

My first question will be, what wind am I hunting? If I am going to hunt that stand on a west wind, for example, I want to be on the east of the of the trail.

So in that case, would position my stand on the northeast side of the tree so that the deer approaches me from just off the point on my left shoulder.

Not that it ever really works out that way.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 am

I try to place my stand so the tree is between me and where I think the deer will be.  I don't sit still well, so anything that will help mask my movements is a benefit.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Best Practices