Stand positioning

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

RE: Stand positioning

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:27 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I expect the deer to approach from the north, right?

My first question will be, what wind am I hunting? If I am going to hunt that stand on a west wind, for example, I want to be on the east of the of the trail.

So in that case, would position my stand on the northeast side of the tree so that the deer approaches me from just off the point on my left shoulder.

Not that it ever really works out that way.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific.  Wind is out of the North, Deer is coming down a trail from the north in southerly direction...does not matter which side of the trail you decide to hang your stand in (but I see your point if the wind is coming from the east or west).  All things remaining constant what I'm really getting at here is would you hang your stand dead on (facing North) to the approach of the deer, or facing the flanks (east/west) perpendicular to his approach, or on the back side of the tree (southern side) to mask you and your stand relative to the deers approach.  I've done all three..and as you mentioned..it never really works out that way..but I did find keeping the tree between me and the deers approach works best.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 am

I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl, and I admit to playing this game with myself many many times.  However, I have to admit that despite all amounts of cogitation in this regard, my deer hardly ever seem to come the way I expect. My best stand has been up since 2003.  Despite exactly this sort of deliberation, I have seen and  taken deer coming from every direction imaginable from this stand. Last year, I moved the stand 90 degrees in order to make it a tad more stable and better facilitate the things  along the lines being discussed.  The result was more deer showing up on the right and the rear. Go figure.

The good news is that for all my worrying about winds and where the sun will be and all that, this stand has produced 1-3 deer a year.  Last year was the first time it failed to produce, but I lost count of the number of doe and spike buck I saw coming by, waiting for the big one.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:31 pm

I personally would not face it north, that is not going to give you good shooting opportunities if it works out the way you describe it, I also think you will get picked off more by setting up that way. If you are set up perpendicular to the trail you can wait till hes broadside or quartering away to draw and shoot, making it better for movement and shot placement.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I like to face North West......November wind straight in my face when facing North West
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 am

I do my best to set up my stands so that I'm facing either due north or due south. I also always set my stand up amongst at least two trees near each other.  Preferably, one of the trees will wind up being on the front left corner of my stand.  This gives me a place to hang my gear within easy reach as well as a trunk to hide behind.  I like north/south because I do not have to worry about the Sun being in my eyes.

As I write this though, I believe a couple of my stands are facing west/north west out of necessity to cover the trail. 

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:49 am

I try to set my stands up so the I am shooting to my left side . Depending on which direction it is facing determines whether it's a morning or afternoon stand . If I am facing East in a stand , it's not a good spot in the am as the sun would be shining on me and I would stick out like a sore thumb .
Something to do when you are trimming shooting lanes is to place branches is such a way as to force the deer to walka around and go where you want . Drag dead limbs , etc over to block areas . I have a stand at my sister in laws where doe have come down from behind me and spotted me and came from my right side before I could take a shot . I an going to buy some of the plastic snow fence to put up to change their direction of travel .
Semper Fi !

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 am

ORIGINAL: vipertech

I do my best to set up my stands so that I'm facing either due north or due south. I also always set my stand up amongst at least two trees near each other.  Preferably, one of the trees will wind up being on the front left corner of my stand.  This gives me a place to hang my gear within easy reach as well as a trunk to hide behind.  I like north/south because I do not have to worry about the Sun being in my eyes.

As I write this though, I believe a couple of my stands are facing west/north west out of necessity to cover the trail. 

Yeah i like that kind of setup as well Viper...my problem though is I can never seem to find two trees within the right proximity of each otehr and the projected travel of the deer.  Or the trees are not straight enough, too many branches, not enough branches etc

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Now I have to think about which direction my many stands are in fact aimed and what direction the Deer are most likely to be traveling from?

Ridge Field Ladder Stand.

Aimed west with my back to the sun in the mornings,I have Deer crossing the field in front of me,also walking the field edge directly in front and below me traveling north to south and walking from behind me in the woods to my salt lick and mineral lick.I also have 2 large tree's in front of my stand to keep me covered up and all kinds of tree's/woods behind my stand for cover.

Lower bottom Field ladder stand:

Aimed Southwest because the deer travel down the logging road to the open field or they follow the field edges going west to east,they have aslo been known to slip in behind my stand to my right.

Middle Bottom Field Stand:

Aimed south,with the Deer traveling behind the stand through the woods,they also come out to the food plots from the east and walk west towards my stand,or they have been known to walk the field edge along the tree line from the west heading east directly under my stand from my right side.

Ladder Stand on our lease Property:

Aimed North with the Deer (Bucks) usually traveling from behind me on a rub line heading south to north or they cross in front of me going east to west.

My thought on the subject is no matter which way your stand is aimed it is best to be up pretty high and/or with good cover and scent control it doesn't matter which way the deer come in from you'll be prepared! [;)]

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm

I prescout midmorning for evening stands in feeding areas. If I find a trail that looks to be used, I set up, not on the trail, but in the feeding area facing the trail. This does not always work. I had some come in last year at 90 degrees from a set up. So just have to be patient, and let them come to you, deer are at their own time frame, and most of the time seem to have a favorite tree they like to feed under, so I practice various shot angles. That's what helps me.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:27 pm

I am right handed so I also setup to the right side of the suspected trail. When I do get up I can draw and shoot with the least amount of movement.

Previous

Return to Best Practices