Suggestions wanted for using Binoculars w/ eye glasses

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
nateberly

Suggestions wanted for using Binoculars w/ eye glasses

Postby nateberly » Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 am

I am a rifle hunter and I wear glasses when I hunt and scout, they really help. The problem is that when it comes time to use binoculars, it is very tough, or I slide my glasses on my forehead and get them all greased up. I am soon looking to invest in new binos, so do any other hunters with suggestions or experiences have any tips?
Thanks,
Nathan

dadof3upatree

RE: Suggestions wanted for using Binoculars w/ eye glasses

Postby dadof3upatree » Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 am

Have you tried a pair of the instant focus binos?  Maybe you could use them without bring them all the way to you glasses.  There is no zooming in though, which is why I don't use them.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri May 08, 2009 7:58 am

I would prefer not getting instant focus, I would like a decent pair that I can use in low light and wear around my neck when scouting and tracking without worry of harm. Do they now make them with the lens opening larger, so you don't have to bring the cups all the way to your skin? Just to your glasses?
Thanks

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri May 08, 2009 10:49 am

Check out Nikon Action Extremes. I have a pair of 10 X 50's. I don't wear glasses when hunting, but , as I understand it, if you don't use the twist out eyecups, they work with glasses. Borrow some from a buddy to try out or go bother the clerk at Cabelas to let you try looking around in the store with your glasses on.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 pm

How bout wearing contacts?  I know that's an obvious answer but nothing was said about it...
QDM!

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm

I have thought about contacts, but I haven't ever had them, nor needed them (I still pass my drivers exam fine). If I could get used to using them that would be perfect, but that means I'd have to find an eye doctor and do all of that fun stuff. I don't like the idea of wearing contacts though. Someday when I have it covered by insurance I might try them out.
Thanks for all of the help so far. There must be others experiencing this same problem out there.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon May 11, 2009 1:26 am

Wear a glass strap like one of those Croakies-thingies.  When you want to look through the binos,  push the glasses up onto your forehead.  The strap will keep your glasses from falling off.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:26 am

I use the Bushnell Permafocus with glasses, I roll the rubber eyecups back and keep the lenses from touching each other.  They work fine, except on close up things because you can't focus them, but I've found I really don't need them on things that are so close they won't focus, except maybe when birding.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Best Practices