Could it be -UV?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
arpy00

Could it be -UV?

Postby arpy00 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 am

When reviewing my trail cam digital photos....I noticed the infrared shots of me walking in or out of my stand, my camo boots were "white".  I did not think too much about it until I wore a different camo jacket later in the season and it was white as well.

So now I have doubts if my camo (boots and jacket) hides my or exposes me?

Any thoughts and has anyone else had this happen to them.

Thanks

Grey Wolf

RE: Could it be -UV?

Postby Grey Wolf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 am

I have read that deer can see UV light however Infrared and UV are two different light spectrums so your Infrared camera did not show you what a deer could possibly see. You could get a UV light though to see if you clothing reflects and glows in the UV spectrum.  

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 am

I don't know but if you want to learn a bit about uv....http://www.atsko.com/index.html

click on the dvd on the right of the screen
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gr8ToutDoors

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I heard something about deer being able to see blue through a UV lighting.  I can't recall what it was exactly, but I know that you can test your clothes by putting them under a black light.  If they glow then the deer are supposedly able to see you and you look like a blue ghost to them.  If they don't then your camo is fine I guess.  I know that there are detergents that can take away the UV in your clothing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:19 am

White showing up on an I/R image means heat.  What it means is your boots were warmer than the background.  An I/R sensitive camera cannot pick up U/V; it's at the other end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

U/V has been discussed on here quite a bit in the last year.  If you dig back through, you can find the threads.  Here is my opinion, based on the tests you can find on my weblog:

1) U/V sensitivity of deer is a  highly overblown subject
2) U/V dies in hunting clothing are not the problem they were 20 years ago.
3) U/V comes from the sky.  You're up in a treestand. You're in the sky. Why would this be a problem?
4) U/V comes from the sun, but the sun is at a low angle when you're hunting in the morning and evening. There is very little ambient U/V in the environment.

If you're really worried about U/V in your clothes, do two things:
a) take your clothing out in the bright noonday sun.  If there are white areas that really seem to glow, that may be a U/V reactive dye in the pattern.  Run some green or brown Rit dye through them-- the problem magically disappears. Yes, the camo gets a bit muted, but you're the one that thought too bright was the problem, savvy?

b) Most laundry detergents have U/V brighteners in them.  Their effect  on hunting clothing is minimal, but it's there.  I wash all my clothes in baking soda.  It removes odor better than anything, it may leave clothes a bit more dingy than fancy detergent, but a little dingy goes a long way in the deer woods-- savvy?  Besides, if you buy a 50lb bag of baking soda, it costs less than $.10/load .  Even buying it in the little yellow boxes at the store is cheaper than using expensive no-scent, no-UV detergent and expensive U/V remover and scent remover and . . .  

I have been hunting in U/V radioactive hunter orange for over a quarter century.  This is a GOOD thing. It means that other hunters see me. I don't get shot.  Deer look at my hunter orange and don't see anything threatening.  Read my weblog at Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries for details. Use things like "elephant repellent" and  "clown suit"  for search terms.

For the past 6 years I've been hunting in the same quad parka and bibs.  I acquired a bunch of U/V illuminators so I can see this stuff. There IS  a U/V hotspot on my clothes-- Mossy Oak added some Zinc Oxide to the pattern to increase contrast.  It glows.  I just found this out last Fall.  On the other hand, I fill all my tags, and have bagged my biggest deer and seen more deer in the past 6 years than the whole rest of the the past 26 seasons.  From my stands, the deer really don't see much of that camo pattern.  Most of it is covered with a highly U/V radioactive Hunter Orange  poncho:

Believe me: that orange GLOWS!

If I could design the absolute best camo outfit for me, it would be THAT orange on the quad parka's torso and hood, with some sort blaze camo on my legs and arms, with the same water repellent outer fabric and the same insulation and linings. 

This was my second season not bow hunting. But I have bowhunted for 24 years previous. I get as many easy 20-yard chip shots wearing the orange and carrying my rifle as I got with my bow and full camo. From and elevated stand it really makes very little difference.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks for the information.  Plus...I now know why my feet get cold!

Return to Best Practices