truck or suv? scent free or dry?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
whubbard

truck or suv? scent free or dry?

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 am

Do any of you have any preferences on what vehicle you drive to your hunting spots?  I hunt a lot of walk in areas and am driving a ford f150 now.  My equipment is scent free but wet sometimes.  Not my clothes, I keep them in a plastic tote.  It is burdensome and uncomfortable to get dressed in my hunting clothes in teh back of the truck.  especially raining or snowing or even if its' just real cold.  I was thinking of putting a camper top on my bed of the truck, but also thought about looking into a suv.  Keeping my gear dry, and safe when I run into stores or leaving some equipment behind in my unattended bed makes me uneasy some time.  Theivery and all.  However i worry that my clothes, albeit, stored in totes might show traces of human scent or whatever I put inside the cab of the suv.  Any thoughts or pro's/con's of each would be helpful. 

John1961

RE: truck or suv? scent free or dry?

Postby John1961 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:20 am

I drive a Dakota and I wash and hang my gear right in my closet untill next year. No scent free or any thing. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:03 pm

I have a blazer and a 500 honda foreman. I really like the 4-wheeler however I wish I had a truck so I didnt have to hook the trailor up. I will put all my gear in rubber totes and baggies and keep em there till next year. If I had to get a truck I think it'd be a chevy.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am

Jeep Cherokee with a fold down type hitch carrier. Previous was a F150 with a locking slide tonneau cover, & before that a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel with a cap on the back. All can be locked with gear stored inside. Ford was the best for hiding stuff, but they still broke in over night when I was too lasy to remove gun & fanny pack. Left the boots, so I guess there didn't fit [:@]

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 am

Store your clothes in garbage bags and throw a handful of sodium bicarb in as you're closing them up.  Nobody will steal garbage.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:48 am

You could get some locking tool chests to put in the back or a tonneau cover or cap. I wish I owned a truck.I would get a small suv. I have a little toyota tercel. Fortunately I don't have to drive to my hunting area and my friend is willing to haul me and my deer to town. He has a truck.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:00 pm

I got a Chevy pickup and store everything in bags then put the bags in a sealed tote I got from Fleet Farm. They are then put in the back of the bed (no cap or cover) on the way to the hunting location.
During hunting season I wish I had a cap for security and weather.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 pm

4-door Toyota Tundra.  This truck is the stuff!!!  You have plenty of stoarge room on the back seat for all your bags, bow, gun etc.  I keep all my clothes in scent-lok bags and still have lots of room to organize.  Plus I have a lockable tool box to secure things when I need the back seat space!  And on top of that, there's still a bed to haul the deer out and you dont have to worry about messing up a SUV interior.   

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm

i drive a subaru station wagon got 4wheel drive,great on gas  and nobody looks sideways at it.i keep my gear in a plastic tub.i can fold down the rear seats and and an air mattress fits in there perfect.i throw a small cooler in the passenger floor and i got a rolling camp[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am

all my gear goes in my cab except my stand. but i have an extended cab. all my clothing is double bagged then put inside a tote so i dont feel they are in danger of contamination. it sounds as though a topper or lockable toneau would be your most economical option.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Next

Return to Best Practices