Aerial Maps

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Highlander Archery

RE: Aerial Maps

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:59 pm

1.View of local archery club parking and building

2. View of entire Club property

3. View of Outdoor Range 10, 20, and 30 yard butts

brentru

Postby brentru » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I use the mapping tools on mossyoak.com (I think you have to sign up for a free account in order to access the tools).  They port in the mapcard.com tools and they are pretty good for free stuff.  They give you options of topo, aerial and hybrid (topo over aerial) maps over a variety of scale (1:6k - 1:200k).  There are limitations on what you can do to print out or save your desired maps without a mapcard.com subscription, but it hasn't hampered me too much yet.  I also find that the aerial imagery resolution is pretty good across the board.  I've found that Google Earth is pretty bad when you start getting into the boonies of KS.

wack

Postby wack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:02 am

I didn't see anyone mention the DNR's maps.

http://dnrmaps.wisconsin.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=mgdlands

This may not zoom in as close as others mentioned but it has all the layers that tell you where DNR land is and all the other DNR map layers that other maps don't have such as deer zones, turkey zones, and public hunting boundaries.

Between the DNR map and the others mentioned it's amazing at the info you can get without even leaving the house. It's kind of exiting and scary to think about where this tech. is going in the future. Big brother is watching. I looked up my home on several map systems and can date most of the pics by the vehicles in my driveway and landscape/gardens. These are all free map sites, you can buy a lot better versions. Google Earth has the free site and you can upgrade it for something like $300 if I remember right. Makes me wonder what  big brothers version can see.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Previous

Return to Best Practices