Breathing-nose or mouth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
PrairieShadow

RE: Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:56 pm

I always breathe through my nose as it makes me feel less stinky. I dunno but it help mentally and i think it helps keep me calm when the big one is out front.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:12 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Probably a silly question but I was wondering if you breathe out of your nose instead of your mouth is your breath gonna be different smelling. When I'm on stand I always try to breathe with my nose and keep my mouth shut, just curious if that makes a difference?

Yes it matters. There is a lot of bacteria in our mouths and no filter. Our noses are actually cleaner and the air is filtered as you inhale/exhale.

If you do not believe me: I just got back from two days in a cabin w/ no running water. I have been surviving on a diet of summer sausage and sharp cheddar cheese for six days. Come on over. First I'll breath on you through my nose and then my mouth. I rest my case.[:D]

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:10 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Train yourself to hold your breath for 4 hours. That's infallible.

If you can't, gargling with doe urine is a great cover scent. Just don't do it if you're hunting on the ground, because that buck can be on you in no time............[:D]

Seriously....WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???? You are trying to KILL the deer, not make-out with it!!!!
Now that's funny and a good point[:)]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Yes it matters. There is a lot of bacteria in our mouths and no filter. Our noses are actually cleaner and the air is filtered as you inhale/exhale.

If you do not believe me: I just got back from two days in a cabin w/ no running water. I have been surviving on a diet of summer sausage and sharp cheddar cheese for six days. Come on over. First I'll breath on you through my nose and then my mouth. I rest my case.[:D]

Without running water?  I have a bad feeling that we might not be able to get close enough to you to even try this experiment of yours.  The smell might be bad enough from the rest of your body?  [:'(]

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:51 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Goose

Probably a silly question but I was wondering if you breathe out of your nose instead of your mouth is your breath gonna be different smelling. When I'm on stand I always try to breathe with my nose and keep my mouth shut, just curious if that makes a difference?

Now that sounds like my kind of place! Peaceful serenity!  But ill let ya keep your cheese breathe[:D]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Buy some "natural scent" gum, mouth spray or whatever they have out now if it is something you worry a lot about. Seems like the most practical way to make yourself feel better about your breath, haven't heard if it makes any difference though, i refuse to pay 5 bucks for an ounce (if that) of mouth spray. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 am

I am amazed at the responses I see here. Really.

I hunt on the ground, I eat whatever I darn well want, I don't own a stitch of scent-loc, and I rarely ever get wind busted.

Yesterday I was stillhunting in a crosswind, and had a doe pass within 25 to 30 yards of me. I drew on her, but I had no good shot, so I let her pass. She moved off unalerted, and then was downwind of me when she was about 80 yards out. She never scented me either.

What do you guys do, live in a locker room or something eating raw garlic and limburger cheese???
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 am

Here's another thing you might try.....chlorophyll supplements.

That's the only thing that I do that I know few, if any, or you do. They're supposed to act as an internal deorderant. Like I said, I hunt on the ground (and I ALWAYS hunt the wind...), rarely get scent busted, and when I treestand hunted I NEVER got wind busted (at least with any deer that I could see or hear).

$20.00 worth will take you through an entire deer season. I take two every morning, and will take another two the night before I know I'm going hunting.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1721

Also note the following, and see especially the areas that I've asterisked:

Chlorophyll?Chlorophyll is the green pigmentation found in plants. It is central and important as it is responsible for absorbing and harnessing sunlight, which is in turn essential for plants to go through photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll Health Benefits
The benefits of chlorophyll is not only limited to plants. Chlorophyll offers a multitude of benefits to humans. It is important to not that chlorophyll and human blood are similar in structures and composition, except for its central metal (chlorophyll has magnesium while human blood has iron).

Some of its health benefits include the following:

• antioxidant properties to fight free radicals

• ridding out toxins that are taken in due to pollution, smoking and from food

• stimulates the production of red blood cells

• helps in good blood circulation

• anti-carcinogenic properties: prevention and delay of certain diseases such as cancer (caused by free radicals)

• helps in wound healing

• ****** deodorizer for bad breath or body odor******

Chlorophyll Sources: Where is chlorophyll found?
Leafy vegetables are the main foods that are rich in chlorophyll content. The amount of chlorophyll found in each vegetable varies. In spinach, for example, chlorophyll is present by as high as 1% based on dry weight estimation. Fruits do not have significant amounts as compared to vegetable sources. Teas, most especially green tea, are good sources of chlorophyll as well. However, the amounts of chlorophyll that you intake is not as high as when they are taken as chlorophyll supplements.

Chlorophyll Supplements
Chlorophyll supplements now flood the market with different brands and dosages. They come in the form of chlorophyll extract (or chlorophyll herb extract), chlorophyll capsules, chlorophyll tablets or chlorophyll powder. All these forms differ only in the manner by which they were produced, but they are all one and the same. Their doses vary as well. For example, one chlorophyll capsule is equivalent to three teaspoons of liquid chlorophyll. Chlorophyll powders are usually incorporated with other natural herbs such as alfalfa and green tea. Capsule supplements, on the other hand, come in 100 to 600 milligram doses.

Who Should Take Them?
Taking chlorophyll supplements will allow you to experience the different health benefits of chlorophyll that were mentioned above. Chlorophyll is strongly recommended for anemic and border-line anemic patients. It is also useful for people who have bone diseases and arthritis, and as an alternative for antibacterial medications. Chlorophyll supplements are also beneficial for smokers, for those who eat unhealthy food and for those exposed to pollution - all for toxin eradication purposes.

****** They are widely-used as well as a measure for eliminating body odors and bad breath. ******

What to Expect with Chlorophyll Supplements
As it is a natural chemical, it is not toxic; it is safe and soothing to the body. It is also safe to take for people of all ages. It is not a medication, but a food supplement in its own. Taking chlorophyll supplements is much like eating tons of green leafy vegetable and enjoying a healthy, new you.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 am

Woods,

I actually do the same thing that you do with the chlorophyll supps. 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. I cant say one way or another if they work or not but i rarely get busted either. deer at 10yds downwind of me the night i harvested my buck and none of the 3 had a clue and they walked in on the same trail i did.

On a side note,

I thought if these supps were supposed to suppress human odor then maybe i would take a couple in my pocket to the stand and just chew one up when i got there to recude the odor my mouth was emitting. WRONG!!

DONT do this as they taste so awful that you will darn near fall from your tree...ooops[sm=s201.gif]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

Woods,

I actually do the same thing that you do with the chlorophyll supps. 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. I cant say one way or another if they work or not but i rarely get busted either. deer at 10yds downwind of me the night i harvested my buck and none of the 3 had a clue and they walked in on the same trail i did.

On a side note,

I thought if these supps were supposed to suppress human odor then maybe i would take a couple in my pocket to the stand and just chew one up when i got there to recude the odor my mouth was emitting. WRONG!!

DONT do this as they taste so awful that you will darn near fall from your tree...ooops[sm=s201.gif]

That's odd....a person that I recommeded gargling with doe urine to said the same thing.........[:D]

Interesting that you concur with my own experiences with chlorophyll. I don't know anyone else personally that takes it. I had read about it in G.Fred Asbell's book, STALKING AND STILLHUNTING, THE GROUNDHUNTER'S BIBLE. (Which BTW is excellent for ANY kind of weapon you use. He's a traditional archer,  as I am, but I use and have good success gun hunting this way also.)

He swears by it, and so do I.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices