Breathing-nose or mouth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]I am amazed at the responses I see here. Really.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]I hunt on the ground, I eat whatever I darn well want, I don't own a stitch of scent-loc, and I rarely ever get wind busted.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Yesterday I was stillhunting in a crosswind, and had a doe pass within 25 to 30 yards of me. I drew on her, but I had no good shot, so I let her pass. She moved off unalerted, and then was downwind of me when she was about 80 yards out. She never scented me either.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]What do you guys do, live in a locker room or something eating raw garlic and limburger cheese???[/size]

I'm amazed at YOUR response. My guess is that you never even see the deer that are winding you because you are on the ground and they are gone before you even see them.

The whitetail deer has a sense of smell that we cannot even fully comprehend. They live and die by that nose and if a hunter wants an edge, he/she had better not cut corners with scent control. But even with a careful scent routine, you can and will get busted from time to time!

Does that mean that every deer that passes down wind will detect you? No. But a hunter is foolish to think that they are scent proof. I have about 65 hrs. in the stand this season and I cannot say that I have been really busted so far. But I have seen deer start to get a little twitchy when they are danger close and someof them have decided to move on.

That being said, thanks for the link re. chlorophyll tabs. I am ordering some today. I don't like to take chances.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:07 am

JPH,

Just dont chew them. BLAH!! I guess i would have never known if i didnt try it the other day huh? Actually i tried it the night i killed my buck??? Maybe there is something to chewing these things?[:D]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

JPH,

Just dont chew them. BLAH!! I guess i would have never known if i didnt try it the other day huh? Actually i tried it the night i killed my buck??? Maybe there is something to chewing these things?[:D]

There are a lot of things I'd chew to get a crack at a buck like him.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:34 am

Start with chewing one of those chlorophyll tablets. Let me know what you think.[:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I am amazed at the responses I see here. Really.

I hunt on the ground, I eat whatever I darn well want, I don't own a stitch of scent-loc, and I rarely ever get wind busted.

Yesterday I was stillhunting in a crosswind, and had a doe pass within 25 to 30 yards of me. I drew on her, but I had no good shot, so I let her pass. She moved off unalerted, and then was downwind of me when she was about 80 yards out. She never scented me either.

What do you guys do, live in a locker room or something eating raw garlic and limburger cheese???

I'm amazed at YOUR response. My guess is that you never even see the deer that are winding you because you are on the ground and they are gone before you even see them.

The whitetail deer has a sense of smell that we cannot even fully comprehend. They live and die by that nose and if a hunter wants an edge, he/she had better not cut corners with scent control. But even with a careful scent routine, you can and will get busted from time to time!

Does that mean that every deer that passes down wind will detect you? No. But a hunter is foolish to think that they are scent proof. I have about 65 hrs. in the stand this season and I cannot say that I have been really busted so far. But I have seen deer start to get a little twitchy when they are danger close and someof them have decided to move on.

That being said, thanks for the link re. chlorophyll tabs. I am ordering some today. I don't like to take chances.

LOL! I know you think I'm lying, but what can I say? Sure, there may, and probably are, some deer that I never saw that winded me, but in all the years (23) that I treestand hunted, I NEVER EVER had a deer scent bust me when it was within eyesight, far, OR right under me.

I have had 3 times on the ground where I was wind busted. Mostly by errant thermals.

And I never said I was scent free, either. I just try to keep  myself clean, and as scent free as possible.

I do, however, know of many guys like yourself, who get scent-busted on a regular basis. Why? Who knows. I think that part of it is personal body chemistry, and some of it (not you!) are guys who flat just can't keep still on stand, and it's their MOVEMENT that busts them first. I personally know several guys like this. They have to have a blind or a treestand that almost completely encloses them to be successful.

I will also mention that the recent experience I had with that deer is NOT uncommon for me, and in fact is the norm, as long as I SEE THEM FIRST. Take it as you will.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I do not take offense at the suggestion that I may be moving too much. I do move too much and I know it! But that is another thread.

I gotta be honest, I cannot accept your claim to have NEVER been winded from a tree stand at face value. I mean no personal insult, I just cannot buy it.

Watch the "professional" hunters some time. No matter what you or I think about their racket, they have a lot riding on their success. Take Terry Drury for example. I have DVD's where he (and his camera man I assume) are on stand with a fresh scent-free shower, spray down with carbon blast and full scent-lok clothing. He still gets busted sometimes. Why? Not because he stinks, but because he hunts A LOT.

If you are out there long enough, they will smell you. Well not YOU, but everyone else. [;)]

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:56 pm

I have never heard of using chlorophyll, but I beleive, I will have to give it a shot. Thanks Woods Walker!  

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

I do not take offense at the suggestion that I may be moving too much. I do move too much and I know it! But that is another thread.

I gotta be honest, I cannot accept your claim to have NEVER been winded from a tree stand at face value. I mean no personal insult, I just cannot buy it.

Watch the "professional" hunters some time. No matter what you or I think about their racket, they have a lot riding on their success. Take Terry Drury for example. I have DVD's where he (and his camera man I assume) are on stand with a fresh scent-free shower, spray down with carbon blast and full scent-lok clothing. He still gets busted sometimes. Why? Not because he stinks, but because he hunts A LOT.

If you are out there long enough, they will smell you. Well not YOU, but everyone else. [;)]

I also find it difficult to believe. Everyone gets busted from time to time and in your 23yrs of hunting it seems impossible to have not been busted at least once.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I also find it difficult to believe. Everyone gets busted from time to time and in your 23yrs of hunting it seems impossible to have not been busted at least once.

As I said, I cannot account for deer that may have winded me from afar and were never within sight. But NEVER did I have one under me that scent busted me while I was in a treestand. I know several other guys that have had the same experience. I have been busted because I moved and the deer saw me, and one time I was in an afternoon stand, and didn't take into account that I would be backgrounded by the setting sun (DUH!!!)

But I've always been very aware of thermals, also, and I tried not to hunt stands where the daily thermals might pool any scent I had.

As far as the guys on TV go, I believe NOTHING that is portrayed on those shows. They are pretty much all shysters and shills, prostituting themselves for money, and will portray a need for ANY product that will earn them more $$, regardless of whether it works or not. I don't blame them, as it works and people are gullible, and they have created an entire industry with carbon clothing who's effectiveness is questionable at best.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. But I know what I've experienced over 43 deer seasons, with one B&C typical to my name (shot on the ground at 35 yards), and several others in the 160's and 150's range, besides all the others. I hunt a lot too!

Here's one other thing that I do, that might make a difference also........

In addition to all my hunting outerwear being stored in a Rubbermaid tub with a mesh bag of leaf duff in it, I also don't put those clothes on until I'm OUT OF my truck, and they come OFF and back in the tub before I get back in. Same thing with my footgear. I NEVER wear my hunting boots for anything else but hunting...DEER hunting ( I have separate boots for bird hunting), and they come OFF my feet and stored in a tub before I get back into the truck.

How many of you put your boots on when you leave the house and then drive to your hunting spot? How about if you stop and talk to the farmer and are standing around in his farmyard in your boots with the odors of gasoline, diesel, and Lord knows what else on the ground? 95% of the deer hunters I know do that. Does it make a difference? Who knows. I'm just telling you what I do.

It could also be that I really believe that we all have different body chemistries. Face it, some of us just SMELL more than others. I've had the same experience with mosquitoes. I can be with a group of people and some of them are just getting eaten alive, while I am just getting an occasional bite. This is not to say that I don't get mosquito bites, I most certainly do, but the intensity of them can vary quite a bit between myself and others that I'm with in the same location.

Every season since I started ground hunting in a ghillie suit, I've had deer within a few YARDS of me, and they never knew I was there, as long as I didn't move. I didn't try to kiss them, so maybe that's why they couldn't smell my breath!

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:14 am

Don't get me wrong Woods Walker. While I am a bit dubious, I do not begrudge you any of your well earned success.

My personal scent control routine borders on OCD and my hunting success has increased because of it. Not only do I wait to put my outer layer on, but I strip down to bare skin and put on everything new and scent free. While I do not get detected often, it still happens from time to time. I think that you are an anomaly and other hunters should not feel like they "live in a locker room" if they get winded by dead downwind deer.

I'll give you this though. I lost my Sent-lok top on Friday and have been wearing a $20 Wal-Mart flece hoodie as my outermost layer. It has not made a difference...except that I'm a little warmer now. [;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices