Shot Placement

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
GTOHunter

RE: Shot placement

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:48 pm

I've always tried to take the heart/lung shots when
I'm Bow Hunting or Rifle Hunting for Deer.One time I had a big Buck turn and run straight up hill at me...I shot straight on into his chest with my 30-06 and he dropped right there on the spot and is hanging on my wall as I'm writing about it! [;)]

I have thought about using the Shoulder/Scapula shot on a Deer that I didn't want to run off very far and have to trail him through thick brush or in the late evening just before dark!Maybe this year I will use that method to see how well it works?

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:28 pm

I've shot a deer running towards me at 60 yards with my 20 gauge, right between the shoulders where they meet the neck. The shot made a massive hole, and the deer only ran about 100 yards before expiring. Shoulder shots are one thing, but I won't ever consider a "head shot", because seeing a deer that had been head shot, but still alive was the most disgusting un-ethical thing I have ever seen. [:'(] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:35 am

I hung stands around a standing corn field yesterday. It looks like the crops will be in when our early muzzleloader season opens (Oct. 11-19). That has me strongly considering waiting for a shoulder blade shot. Tracking in standing corn is tough, even with good blood.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 am

I took my first neck shot with a rifle a couple years back. Never saw a deer pile up so fast. I would do it again if the right opportunity presented itself. I am a shoulder/heart lung fan though.

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:41 am

Although the neck and head shot will drop em quickly, I like the heart and lung shots.  But all in all I will let the situatuion dictate what shot I will take and what shot I won't take.  For example if the deer is 40 yards away facing me and he is about to spook, (now keep in mind the place that I hunt at is a hunting club leased property so there is alot of pressure) I might take the neck shot but only if  I am sure that I can make the shot without wounding the deer.  But in all instances I would like the boiler room shot, all the deer that I have shot in the boiler room if they did not drop within eyesight the deer did not go past 50 to 60 yards away.  And like other people have noted I have seen deer that have been shot in the neck run for a long ways, some never to be recovered.  Well there is my opinion take it for what it is worth.  Ya'll have a good season and be safe.

DeanoZ

Shot Placement

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 am

This is probably one of those instances where what they do on TV is not neccessarily best practice, but I've noticed on most of these shows gun hunters appear to aiming for just above the shoulders but below the spine or the shoulder itself.  When the shot impacts the deer pretty much drop in their tracks.  I've done mostly bowhunting and some rifle hunting and I've always been taught to aim for a double lung/heart shot right behind the shoulders?  Is shot placement different for gun hunting vice bow?

Patriot

RE: Shot Placement

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:11 am

D&DH editor Dan Schmidt had a nice article awhile back on this.  He was mentioning that a shoulder shot (scapula?) is a great option for gun hunting.  You may ruin a little meat, but the deer usually drop right there.  Of course the margin of error (target) is a bit smaller.

For archery, I go for the "double lunger" every time.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:20 am

On a side note, If you are shooting a smaller caliber like .243 STAY AWAY from the shoulder as i have seen many instances where the bullet never gets through the shoulder.

If your shooting a .30 cal then I'd hit the shoulder everytime!

Archery, again stay away from the shoulder for sure.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

coach

Postby coach » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:30 am

ME personnally, I've been riffle hunting for 20 yrs, and bow hunting for 12.

My bow shot and my riffle (30-06) has always been behind front shoulder....which means double lungs.

Its the way i've been shown.
Doesn't mean its the only way to go....  I just think its the safest way the go.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:07 am

Thank you all for the feedback...I was guessing that was the case and they were busting the shoulder and in the process hitting lung...its those spine shots they take that really make me wince...I mean i guess if you know your limitations great, but I'm one to always error on the safe side, like Coach said.  But sure is nice to be able to drop them on the spot and not worry about having to track'em, lol

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices