Getting down from your stand?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
jonny5buck

RE: Getting down from your stand?

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 pm

shaman  ,now i feel more normal--i usually roll down the window when im done hunting, and shout obscenities at the deer, wait till tomorrw morning you fuzzy faced---- ers!! then i flip em the bird!  it never occured to me to sweet talk em maybe buy em a drink, dancing then WHACK!  i will try next time-thanks

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

Thanks for all the good posts guys. I guess there really isn't a sure fire method for leaving your stand without alerting deer that are feeding out in the field.

The only thing I found that works 90% of the time is if I am able to get down without any deer noticing which I am able to most of the time. I will turn my flash light on while I am walking along the field edge, for some reason the deer do not seem to be a frightened by me. They at times become very curios and I have had deer walk almost right up to me without being alerted.

I have never tried talking to deer, that sounds interesting though.
If all else fails, just try to hunt the deer that you DON'T spook, seems to work for me. [;)]  Shaman...do the deer ever talk back to you when your having your conversations with them? On a second thought don't reply to that question.[X(]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:26 am

What you can do is have a buddy come by the stand to pick you up. It sounds like your hunting a field..Have your buddy drive down the field a little ways.. This will scare the deer off, and they will come back later.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:00 am

shaman,
I normally don't read long posts, but I'm glad I read yours.

Man....you are a hoot!

Thanks for sharing.[:)][:)][:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JBow

Postby JBow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 am

DeerCamp,

I like your idea.  I can definitely see that working.  Most Deer don't associate the same type of danger from a vehicle as they do when confronted with a live human being. 
I would also suggest hanging my stand a little further back in the woods, maybe on an inside corner if possible.  Always a great place to intercept a Buck.  When you set up on Deer, you should not only plan with the wind, but approach and departure routes that will work to not clue your prey into your pressence.   If you have to move when they can hear you, try  blowing on a call as you walk.  Break up your stride.  Don't keep the same methodical  cadence that Deer will associate with humans.  Drag a stick  as you walk in the leaves. Clear your path before hand.  I've gone to the trouble to rake out sticks and leaves for a very long distance.  This has worked very well for me.  Try getting out without a flashlight.  This works well with the pre-raked paths. Just make yourself sound like anything other than a human.
I think if you try to start a conversation with any Deer, it will be a very short one.  I've grunted at Does and fawns from the truck and had a few come rather close.  Try it though.  You never know.

Good Luck!
J-Bow
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:20 pm

I tried waiting them out once, I didn't want to ruin that stand.  About 2 hrs after sunset I had enough,shimmyed down the tree with my climber and everything went nuts. I was so focused on the deer I was watching on a gas well field I failed to notice the other ones that slipped in behind me.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Previous

Return to Best Practices