Share Your Scent Control Routine

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm

I saw a quote in Les Davenport's article in the Nov. '08 issue of D&DH. He is writing about the scent control efforts of urber-hunter Dave Emken.

Emken says, "No matter how free of foreign odor you think you are, downwind deer will smell you nine times out of ten."

I share this more to make myself feel better than anything else. I thought I was a scent fanatic, then I read you guy's posts about almost never being winded. [:(]

At least I'm in good company.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm

i do the scent free soap in the shower i use scent free/uv free  soap for the cloths i store everything in plastic bags or tubs.i change in the field when i get to my spot.That gets chilly[:)] and some odd looks.i spray down my boots ,i wear gloves and try not t touch anything.i spray my bow and gun use a scent  free gun oil .i walk real slow so i dont get sweaty i use those wipes when i do.I refrain from garlic and onions before hunting trips and i wear  scent lock coveralls.and i'm very concerned with the wind direction  I think the term OCD covers it[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

arzboy

Postby arzboy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:06 am

I'm a newbie to the forum, but can already see this is going to be a great one! The only thing that I have not heard yet is probably a little over the top, but the first thing I do when I get to the field is to put on a pair of rubber/latex gloves and spray them with my scent eliminator so that anything I touch while getting changed into my hunting clothes or getting my gear together is as scent free as humanly possible. I wear those rubber/latex gloves all the way to my tree stand and then remove them when I'm finally set up and then I put on my hunting gloves. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:56 am

ORIGINAL: arzboy

the first thing I do when I get to the field is to put on a pair of rubber/latex gloves and spray them with my scent eliminator so that anything I touch while getting changed into my hunting clothes or getting my gear together is as scent free as humanly possible. I wear those rubber/latex gloves all the way to my tree stand and then remove them when I'm finally set up and then I put on my hunting gloves. 

Welcome! It's a great forum.

I reccomend nitrile over latex. Latex leaves an odor of its own and in time, many people develop an alergy to it.

I keep a pair or two in my truck and in my gear during hunting season. I wear them whenever I gas up or touch soemthing that leaves an odor (onions etc.)

arzboy

Postby arzboy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks JPH. That's why these forums are so great, you are always learning something new. I did not know there was a difference and when I checked my gloves I had both latex and nitrile. From now on I will use only nitrile. Thanks for the info.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am

My scent routine

* 2 weeks before season I start showering with Scent free, soap and shampoo, and only using unscented deodorant.

*  Use only towels and wash clothes washed in scent free soap and stored outside in rubbermaid containers.
*  Where clothes washed in scentfree detergent ( that are also stored outside in rubbermaid totes)  to hunting spot.
*  Once at hunting spot completely change clothes ( except underwear) into hunting clothes that are also washed and stored outside.
*  I never enter the woods with out scentlok and rubber boots that have been thouroughly sprayed with scent killer, normally hunter specialties, but this year I plan on trying the primos stuff.
*  always hunt the wind and always try to walk to my stands with the wind in my favor ( sometimes property lines make it impossible)
*  Chew gum-o-flage when on stand
*  Brush teeth with H.S. tooth paste.
*  Never where cologne or after shave during the season

I'm sure I left out a couple things, I've done it for several years now and it's automatic now, it don't seem like I'm doing extra work it's just part of the hunt.  My success has definately increased sense I started going extreme with scent control.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:27 am

I forgot always spray down bow/arrows and wash wrist strap on release a couple times a season.

This year I'm going to put my pants over top my rubber boots, that way any scent coming out of the top of them will be absorbed by the scentlok.  I considered buying the scentlok socks but they're a little to expensive right now.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:58 pm

What works better than Gum-O-Flage, is gargling with doe urine.

Anyone here do that?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:15 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I saw a quote in Les Davenport's article in the Nov. '08 issue of D&DH. He is writing about the scent control efforts of urber-hunter Dave Emken.

Emken says, "No matter how free of foreign odor you think you are, downwind deer will smell you nine times out of ten."

I share this more to make myself feel better than anything else. I thought I was a scent fanatic, then I read you guy's posts about almost never being winded. [:(]

At least I'm in good company.

All due respect to Emken, but I`ve had deer walk in on the same run I walked in on, and come right to the base of the ladder on my stand and never know I was there. I have to take issue with his observation/opinion.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:25 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

What works better than Gum-O-Flage, is gargling with doe urine.

Anyone here do that?

Gargling doe urine huh...Hmmm.  I hope you're joking!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices