Share Your Scent Control Routine

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
flatheadnut

RE: Share Your Scent Control Routine

Postby flatheadnut » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm

[font="times new roman"]This is interesting stuff.  But to a new hunter, it sounds like rocket science.  I can't afford scent lock, and am allergic to any antiperspirant.  I wash in scent free soap, wash hunting duds in scent free soap and then store them in black trash bags inside a Rubbermaid tub; I live in the middle of an urban neighborhood so hanging outside is out of the question.  I throw a fresh earth wafer in the plastic bag.  I ware long underwear that has been washed in scent free to the farm, and then change into hunting duds.  My boots only are worn after I change into hunting duds and go back into a plastic bag before getting into the truck.  I drip some doe pee on the soles before walking to stand, and spray down with scent free spray unless it will compromise warmth to do so.  This year I will only hunt areas where the wind is blowing my scent in a direction I don't expect deer to come from even if it means hunting from the ground.  If this isn't good enough, I guess I won't arrow a deer, but am thankful my life doesn't depend on the meat.  I have the philosophy that it is called hunting not shooting, and a day in the tree watching cardinals and squirrels is a huge blessing.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The hunter's safety instructor told the story of shooting a deer at 6 yards while smoking a cigarette.  He told the story to highlight the importance of playing the wind.  I wonder if he's just blowing smoke?[/font]

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:03 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: JPH

I saw a quote in Les Davenport's article in the Nov. '08 issue of D&DH. He is writing about the scent control efforts of urber-hunter Dave Emken.

Emken says, "No matter how free of foreign odor you think you are, downwind deer will smell you nine times out of ten."

I share this more to make myself feel better than anything else. I thought I was a scent fanatic, then I read you guy's posts about almost never being winded. [:(]

At least I'm in good company.

All due respect to Emken, but I`ve had deer walk in on the same run I walked in on, and come right to the base of the ladder on my stand and never know I was there. I have to take issue with his observation/opinion.

I've had the same thing happen myself. Heck, I've had deer lick the steps I climbed up on. But read carefully, the quote was, "downwind deer will smell you nine times out of ten"

One, how a deer reacts to our scent trail, is very different than how it may react to our scent stream.

Two, there are always times when we get lucky. Scent control/elimination help to make that happen.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:13 am

ORIGINAL: flatheadnut

[font="times new roman"]This is interesting stuff.  But to a new hunter, it sounds like rocket science.  I can't afford scent lock, and am allergic to any antiperspirant.  I wash in scent free soap, wash hunting duds in scent free soap and then store them in black trash bags inside a Rubbermaid tub; I live in the middle of an urban neighborhood so hanging outside is out of the question.  I throw a fresh earth wafer in the plastic bag.  I ware long underwear that has been washed in scent free to the farm, and then change into hunting duds.  My boots only are worn after I change into hunting duds and go back into a plastic bag before getting into the truck.  I drip some doe pee on the soles before walking to stand, and spray down with scent free spray unless it will compromise warmth to do so.  This year I will only hunt areas where the wind is blowing my scent in a direction I don't expect deer to come from even if it means hunting from the ground.  If this isn't good enough, I guess I won't arrow a deer, but am thankful my life doesn't depend on the meat.  I have the philosophy that it is called hunting not shooting, and a day in the tree watching cardinals and squirrels is a huge blessing.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The hunter's safety instructor told the story of shooting a deer at 6 yards while smoking a cigarette.  He told the story to highlight the importance of playing the wind.  I wonder if he's just blowing smoke?[/font]

I think you are on the right track. You DO NOT need scent lok to be a successful deer hunter! Even though I wear it, I remain skeptical.

I dare say that most of us on this forum killed our first few archery deer without much scent control at all. The reason I go to the extremes I do now is that, I not only want to get out in the woods and maybe fill a tag, I want to do be perfect. I'll know I'll never get there, but it's fun to try.

Bottom line for me (while it is not supported by a few other posters here), the most impotant element in scent control is hunting the wind.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:24 am

Don't forget the thermals,  It may not be as important as hunting the wind but it can definately blow a hunt.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:53 pm

I agree with JPH its not a must do must have thing. Its a point in my hunting career where Ill do little stuff that a lot of people laugh at to maybe increase my odds. Its not for everyone and it might not work for everyone but for me its part of the hunt and when I have deer downwind not even stutter it makes me feel like Im improving my odds and doing something right. Does it work everytime? NO! But if it works that one time I need it to it was worth it and if it doesnt work that time at least I know I did everything I could. Did I shoot deer not paying attention to the wind or my scent? Sure, but I feel my sightings have gone up and deer spooked has gone down. Thats worth it to me. Flatheadnut your doing the right thing with what you got, your ahead of most people, just being conscious of it helps leaps and bounds. Im by no means an expert or know it all I just do what I can to try to improve the odds and get that one chance.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Amen Goose, anything that may improve my odds.  That split second a deer doesn't spook is another oppertunity for me.  I know my sightings and success have increased since becoming a scent control freak.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:38 pm

ok i get it that we all put our clothes in a scent-proof container, and if we are driving, we don't change till we get to our location.  BUT, one question i have for you all.  what if it's freezing out, do you guys still change at your hunting site or do you do something different?  i'm interested to see the responses here.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 am

in frigid temps i will wear my bottom two layers to the sight and coniue getting dressed there. it sucks a little but i get plenty warmed up on the way to the stand. i still employ the use of a scent free sheet over the truck seat to avoid any absorbtion of foriegn odor, and a healthy dose of scent killer spary while dressing.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 am

I just walk out my door so...I'm dressed fully and ready to go...but I also make sure I'm leaving the house or camp 1 to 1 1/2 hours before day light....this way I can take a half hour to 45 min. doing a very slow walk to stand....not over heating..
I see videos where the guys climb stand and then move about getting dressed but more than once I've had deer freeze me half way up a ladder as they browse by...then as light fills the woods they'er bedded with in 30-50 yrds of the stand...prefer not risking them knowing where I am

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 am

still change but do it fast[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices