Snow & Footprints

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bobow

Snow & Footprints

Postby bobow » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 pm

Footprints in the snow.  How do deer react to them?  Scent control I can understand, but I assume deer can see fresh footprints in the snow.

Is there some trick to getting to your hunt location?  How do you all of you handle it?

Advice is appreciated.  BTW, it hasn't snowed here yet with any accumulation, but it is something I have always wondered about.  This is my first year bow hunting so I am hoping I have a chance to get out when it does snow or shortly thereafter.

paulie

RE: Snow & Footprints

Postby paulie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Well, for what its worth, the other evening I walked back to my truck(from the stand) in the snow, when I came out the next morning, I noticed that, a deer had followed my path from the night before(in my foot steps) through the yard(I park in the driveway at the farmhouse), damn near right to where my truck was parked! So, I would have to say their not to bothered by them. Now bear in mind, I wear rubber boots, spray them down with Scent killer(every outing), and also spray them with either red fox urine(lot of fox in area), or deer urine, for a cover scent. And also when I'm in the woods, if I come across any deer poop(fresh is better), I make it a point to step in it with both feet. Caution: do not do this unless you change your boots to drive home!! I've heard of guys that hunt near cow pastures doing the same thing with cow poo. I know, it sounds gross, but, think about it, the deer are used to that smell, and, it's not threatening to them.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:40 am

Deer will always take the path of least resistance. If you have already made a path for them, they will use it.

A guy i know mows paths in grass/cattails to get to/from his stands silently without rubbing against all the vegetation.

The deer love these trails that he mows and use them just like humans use a sidewalk.

As long as the tracks are scent free i dont think it will effect deer movement. In the summer i always try and take the path that i want the deer to use in the fall during archery season. Then when it comes season time, between me and the deer using the trail it is already well established.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 am

I had deer walk in my tracks and i don,t wear rubber boots.It doesn't bother them.I change into my hunting boots when i get to to my hunting area.   
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:01 am

I use a pair of stilts with doe hoof bases that I use when walking to my stand.

[:D][:D][:D]

....thought that might be good for a laugh.

On a serious note, I highly doubt the actual boot print would be an issue.  I think it would be the scent that would matter.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:48 pm

bobow I wouldn't worry too much about leaving foot prints in the snow.
Here in northern Ontario Canada there is a great tactic to take deer when we have knee deep snow.
break trail to and past your stand position. Then circle around and climb into you stand /watch. Then watch the trail that you just made in the snow. If the deer are up and moving chances are good that the deer will
follow the trail you just made to travel on. They always take the path of least resistance. I know it goes against all the rules but it works. I found
out about 4 years ago on a rabbit hunt with my brother inlaw. We were
out after a pretty heavy snowfall and we came across a set of deer tracks
and followed them. The deer eventually ended up intersecting our trail we
made when we were walking in. They then proceeded to walk our trail out
to a corn field we had walked through on the way in not more than a half hour previous, as a matter of fact we jumped the doe and her fawn at the edge of the corn field. It really works best when the snow is a foot or more in depth.  I guess they would rather follow a trail made by a human than to expend the extra energy in the winter to break trail themselves.
True survivalists or cocky little buggers. For the hunted to walk in the foot steps of the hunter,  depending on your point of view of course. 
Cdn1 

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:41 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

Deer will always take the path of least resistance. If you have already made a path for them, they will use it.

A guy i know mows paths in grass/cattails to get to/from his stands silently without rubbing against all the vegetation.

The deer love these trails that he mows and use them just like humans use a sidewalk.

As long as the tracks are scent free i dont think it will effect deer movement. In the summer i always try and take the path that i want the deer to use in the fall during archery season. Then when it comes season time, between me and the deer using the trail it is already well established.

My In-Law mows paths all around his property to walk his dogs throughout the year.  I've put trailcams out on the trails and have seen all types of wildlife using the trails with no problems.  I use the trails to move to different stand areas, covers my scent up alittle.  Even in the snow, I've noticed the deer use the trail and almost like to walk in our foot prints.
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Yes, deer will take the path of least resistance. Where i hunt out at my grandparents, we have a few ATV trails, and they are beat to dirt with deer tracks. As someone said earlier, why would they make it harder for themselves to get around when they can take a previously made path.

As for the snow and footprints, i really dont think the footprints bother them too much. Where we go gun hunting in northern wisconsin every once in a while they will have a significant amount of snow, and i just track into the woods on some public gound and find a good spot near the swamp. I have had deer follow or cross my path, and the footprints really dont seem to bother them.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:32 pm

I read somewhere that the guys who manufacture Scent-Loc clothing have done studies that deer can tell the difference between human snowprints and that of other animals.

I view of this, they are developing a special snowboot that masks the form of human footprints. They will retail at $350.00 a pair, and can be rejuvenated by taking them to any commerical carwash where you just leave them in the back of your truck when you run it through. Their new advertsing slogn will be,

"Forget the snow, and just HUNT!"

Word is that a special version is being developed for the south and southwest, that will deal with mud and sand footprints, in the special "P.T Barnum" edition.  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:20 am

The path I need to take into one of my spots is the same path the deer take. We walk the same trail for about 100 yards. I have never had an issue (as far as I know) with this. Make sure your boots are scent free and you should be OK. There are always deer tracks in my footprints. I walk my dogs down my street and they go nuts at every cut across the deer take. They tend to mark the area every time and it doesn't affect the deer at all. I think if it a populated area that they ignore all of that sign and go strictly by scent.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Next

Return to Best Practices