GHILLIE SUITS ?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Gulfcapt

GHILLIE SUITS ?

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:21 am

I have done some checking on different ghillie suits, I know we have a few people in this forum who swears by em WW is one of them! But what one to buy??????

They have 1piece 2piece 4piece suits. So which one out of this catagory is better?

They have long grassy or leafy suits. So again more??????

They have cheap and price'y suits, and I know you get what you pay for! But is it the material its made of is what you pay for?

They also had a suit that looked like it weighed 100lbs it looked that dang bushy.

I know you gents bowhunt out of them, so how do keep the bow string from getting tangled in that thick Ghillie suit when pulling back and getting a anchor point on your chin? looks like to me it could be a hendrance to you?

Any reply would be great THANKS

Marc Anthony

RE: GHILLIE SUITS ?

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:39 am

Gulfcapt, if I had a dime every time someone asked me the same questions you just did, I'd be rich [:D]

In the last year, I've answered over 400 emails regarding the Ghillie suit. I usually just save the original email I sent and change the first name on it when I reply, unless it pertains to something out of the ordinary. I won't do that to you though!

I use a 2 piece suit made from a burlap type of material. It's very heavy and really hot in the early season. They make much better suits now but I'm too cheap to buy another one. Like most of my equipment, I'll wait until it's ready to fail before I replace it. I would still recommend the 2 piece jacket and pants combo. I never use the hood that comes with the jacket because it blocks too much sound and creates a problem when I turn my head. You'll lose about 40 degrees of vision with the hood as it remains mostly stationary while your head turns! I do opt for the hood though, because it covers the neck line and breaks up your profile. The 2 piece is also easier to put on and take off in the field.

I use a Bush Rag brand and you can type their name into Google and purchase one online through them. The newer versions are very light weight, much cooler to wear and made with a synthetic material. The newer suits also have provisions cut out for your bow arm. My older suit doesn't but it hasn't been a problem. I did at one time cut some of the burlap away just as a preventative measure.

WW uses a different brand than I do and he's very happy with his also! We are like 2 peas in a pod when it comes to ground hunting! It's like we've found our long lost cousins when we hooked up on this forum. You would understand if you were odd balls like us [&:]

I hope that helps!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 am

Marc I imagine you and a few others get bombarded with alot of ???? but if they are like me very appreciative of it!

I did find a bush rag 2 piece for $119at one place and $199 at another with the exact same materials/specs. So it gets me to thinking about what you said in last weeks blog, about how some companies will throw alot of $$$$ in advertising to move a flaud product, or is it much more cheaply made, Or They could be on the up and up and just that more cheaper in price! HUH!! Ok wood walker what brand do you have??

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:09 am

I gotta disa one..........

http://ranchosafari.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=98

Bear in mind, it comes with what they call the BOONIE HOOD, which is really a separate head piece that moves WITH your noggin........

http://ranchosafari.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=64

Obviously, you have to TRIM IT to suit you. I also use clips to hold parts of it out of the way.

I also supplement my suit with these pin on leaves, which literally makes you look like a big fall brushpile when you're on the ground. The main problem with this is when the squirrels try you run over you!!!

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/sto ... d-leaf.htm
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Marc I imagine you and a few others get bombarded with alot of ???? but if they are like me very appreciative of it!

I did find a bush rag 2 piece for $119at one place and $199 at another with the exact same materials/specs. So it gets me to thinking about what you said in last weeks blog, about how some companies will throw alot of $$$$ in advertising to move a flaud product, or is it much more cheaply made, Or They could be on the up and up and just that more cheaper in price! HUH!! Ok wood walker what brand do you have??

Always glad to help...It's my life and I love it :-)

I doubt if these are flawed products Gulf, probably just different resellers prices. I was a reseller at one point because I knew my buddies wanted to try the Ghillie. I got a reseller program and sold them to many of the guys I knew at the wholesale price. The problem was, if they didn't get me the right measurements, I then had to send them back and it became a real headache. My point is that the resellers can mark them up as much as they want. EBay has resellers that sell this brand and most are pretty cheap, so you may want to try that (at least the last time I checked they were cheap).

Good luck with it! You won't do wrong no matter which suit you get because ultimately, it will give you the best camo money can buy IMO.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:21 am

I also supplement my suit with these pin on leaves, which literally makes you look like a big fall brushpile when you're on the ground. The main problem with this is when the squirrels try you run over you!!!

I am curious how & where you carry your arrows since you use a long bow?  Also, do you use some kind of "ghillie" camo on the bow itself?

I assume that since Marc uses a compound that you carry your arrows on a bow quiver?  Also, do you use some type of camo on the bow?

Thanks to both of you.  I really enjoy your posts!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:50 pm

I do use a compound bow with a quiver attached to it. My arrows are dark, so I see no need to camo them. My bow is camo colored though and blends in well with the surroundings.

Just curious, what city are you from in central IL bobow?

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:09 pm

I purchased a ghillie suit last year, and used it throughout the hunting season. Got my 10 pointer last year with it on.

Anyhow, I purchased the Bush Rag Ultra-Light Ghillie Suit. I got the shirt and pants combo. Instead of wearing the hood at all, I wear this really lightweight mesh hood that I got from Cabela's a few years ago. It is a mesh, and stays fairly cool.

As for using it with my bow, the suit that I got comes with a bow wrap, but I do not use it. If you get the suit, put it on, get in the living room and draw your bow back, and have your wife or significant other trim all the material away with scissors, that might interfere with your bow.

The entire suit probably only weighs 4 lbs, and is not hot at all. It is also machine washable, however I have avoided doing that. I highly recommend. Think I spent about $120-$140 on it.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Btw Gulf, don't post these all capital headlines that let everyone know about the suits. [;)] Gotta keep the secret a little more quiet.... J/k

But seriously, they work extremely well, and I haven't seen anyone here in Missouri using one except me. That isn't to say there aren't people doing it, I just haven't seen or heard of any yet.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:19 pm

But seriously, they work extremely well, and I haven't seen anyone here in Missouri using one except me. That isn't to say there aren't people doing it, I just haven't seen or heard of any yet.

Then that proves that they must work!!!! [:D] [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Best Practices