Rattle or Bleat?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Gafrage

RE: Rattle or Bleat?

Postby Gafrage » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 am

The answer to that is simply how far you feel comfortable shooting.  In addition to that, make sure the decoy is facing your direction.  The bucks usually circle around it, if they want to fight, they attack from the front, so this will give you ample time to draw and get your shot, prior to them circling all the way around.

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:24 am

What is a good price on a decoy and do they come in different sizes, or are they all basicly standard???

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 am

Can I get some reviews on decoys. Would it help to have a doe and a buck or just a buck.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:32 pm

ORIGINAL: TheHoglandWonder

What is a good price on a decoy and do they come in different sizes, or are they all basicly standard???

I don't know a ton about decoys since I just bought my first one yesterday and used it tonight.  It's the 'Carry Lite Bobbn' decoy, and I got it at Gander MTN for 129.  Most of the decoys you look at are over $100 cept for the Montana which I didn't really seem interested in.  Seemed it wasn't as life-like as I would want it.  Also, with this one you get a set of large antlers, smaller antlers, and then caps that go in the holes to make it a doe.

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:53 am

Awesome Ill have to go over to Gander Mountain and check it out. The only problem I have with Gander Mountain, is every time I walk in the damn doors I spend more than my budget wants to spend. :)

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:37 pm

Welcome to the club Hogland!
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:30 pm

ORIGINAL: TheHoglandWonder

Awesome Ill have to go over to Gander Mountain and check it out. The only problem I have with Gander Mountain, is every time I walk in the damn doors I spend more than my budget wants to spend. :)

I feel your pain...I feel I should own half that store already with how much money I spend between hunting and fishing.  Let me know if you get a deke and how it works out for you!

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:55 am

Well one thing is forcertain, is that I wont be able to afford one this year. School is nickel n' dimin me left and right. Between tution and books I can't afford anything. LOL, I mean I buy a weeks worth of ramen noodles just to live. Eating those noodles three times a day gets old after a while, but then again thats what happens when you spend $5.31 on a weeks worth of grocies.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 am

You have to learn how to mooch man.  Anyway you will have your chance to get a decoy soon.  Just use what you got and concentrate on those skills for now, then move into using a decoy in your arsenal.

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I ended up with my first buck its under the Indiana page as My first buck. Didn't shoot him out of my stand or call or use a decoy, just crawled on my belly....for three hours.

Previous

Return to Best Practices