scents...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
PrairieShadow

RE: scents...

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:22 am

Yep, i use it all the time, It works well if you have a big buck that runs the show in the area and he will think someone new is on his turf. Again must be at the correct time though.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:43 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Anyone ever use dominant buck urine? I picked some up on close out. I thought I'd give it a try with my buck decoy.
Is there a certain time I should use this?
I use primetime H.S. scents "dominate buck" urine a couple weeks into October through the rest of the season. Use it on a mock scrape, you won't be disappointed. For decoying, use dominate buck urine on a scent wick attached to your decoys tail.     
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Anyone ever use dominant buck urine? I picked some up on close out. I thought I'd give it a try with my buck decoy.
I use primetime H.S. scents "dominate buck" urine a couple weeks into October through the rest of the season. Use it on a mock scrape, you won't be disappointed. For decoying, use dominate buck urine on a scent wick attached to your decoys tail.     

I have a question. Let me preface it by saying that I don't doubt for a nano-second that it worked for you. That's not my point. My question is why.

What makes it a "dominant" buck scent, other than the fact that it says that on the label?  How do the DEER know that's it's a dominant buck?

After all, they can't read.

I would think that most bucks in a given area KNOW who the dominant buck is, and thus his scent. We all know that deer, as well as every other herd/pack type animal having "pecking orders".

Could it maybe be, that what attracts deer to this scent, is that it's from a "STRANGER" deer? One who's particular scent they DON'T know?

Just wondering............
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 am

Well if any of these scents are real deer urine ...I think it would be similar to my goat buck.....He smells a little all spring and early summer....but come Late july his sink starts ramping up and by mid Aug. I can actually smell him a 1/4 mile away.....this is the time when my goat does start going into season...when he's not allowed to breed...... the smell worsens...he's urinating on him self and flemming constantly and every thing he touches smells...so perhaps what ever hormones and activities he's having is similar to deer bucks...I know he attracts the local deer buck to hang aroundand using his smell in my scrapes has had them tore up already ....

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:00 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I have a question. Let me preface it by saying that I don't doubt for a nano-second that it worked for you. That's not my point. My question is why.

What makes it a "dominant" buck scent, other than the fact that it says that on the label?  How do the DEER know that's it's a dominant buck?

I would think that most bucks in a given area KNOW who the dominant buck is, and thus his scent. We all know that deer, as well as every other herd/pack type animal having "pecking orders".

Could it maybe be, that what attracts deer to this scent, is that it's from a "STRANGER" deer? One who's particular scent they DON'T know?

The scent is the stronger smell of a mature male breeder buck, and has secretions from the tarsal glands, and digital glands, added to the mixture. Just because one dominant buck is in a given area, doesn't rule out that another mature buck won't move in on the local doe herd. The next time you harvest a dominate buck, smell his leg, then make a mental note to compare that scent to a yearling buck or doe, and I think you'll have a good idea how the deer can tell the difference.     

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Well if any of these scents are real deer urine ...I think it would be similar to my goat buck.....He smells a little all spring and early summer....but come Late july his sink starts ramping up and by mid Aug. I can actually smell him a 1/4 mile away.....this is the time when my goat does start going into season...when he's not allowed to breed...... the smell worsens...he's urinating on him self and flemming constantly and every thing he touches smells...so perhaps what ever hormones and activities he's having is similar to deer bucks...I know he attracts the local deer buck to hang aroundand using his smell in my scrapes has had them tore up already ....
  I hear those "woodland" billy goats can be real scarey when you run into one on the deer trail during bow season. [;)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:09 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[quote]ORIGINAL: mag30079

The scent is the stronger smell of a mature male breeder buck, and has secretions from the tarsal glands, and digital glands, added to the mixture. Just because one dominant buck is in a given area, doesn't rule out that another mature buck won't move in on the local doe herd. The next time you harvest a dominate buck, smell his leg, then make a mental note to compare that scent to a yearling buck or doe, and I think you'll have a good idea how the deer can tell the difference.     
[/quote]

LOL!  I think I understand that! 

But considering that, all that tells them is that ANOTHER, or different buck may be in the area. How do they know that it's "dominant"? 

Dominant is a social term, and is subjective to the makeup of that local deer herd.  A deer wouldn't be "dominant" in a given herd until he PROVED it.

In fact, you could also look at it like this......If a buck deer is "new" into a different area during the rut, it probably means that he had his tail kicked by the "dominant" buck of his home area, thus making him (at least for that herd) subordinant.

Let me ask you this......Just what kind of results did you exactly have?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:29 am

are yall not the same group of guys that just last week were saying dont buy deer scent just pee in the scrape or around your stand yourselves & save some money ? just wondering , seems like if your own pee worked so well yall wouldnt be discussing this post what gives ?
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:38 am

ORIGINAL: bckklr

are yall not the same group of guys that just last week were saying dont buy deer scent just pee in the scrape or around your stand yourselves & save some money ? just wondering , seems like if your own pee worked so well yall wouldnt be discussing this post what gives ?

It all ties in.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:34 pm

i will from timne to time use a drop (and i mean drop) of doe estrous in a scrape but i still pee in it myself. im not so sure that one commercial doe pee is any better or different than another. on an intersting side note . i just saw and ad for standing estrous (which costs 40$) in the nahc mag highlighting a 230" non typ shot by a gent named "spook" spanner. i saw this hunt on t.v.( im sure its the same deer) but as i remember it he was on his way to the stand and seen the buck in a field with some does and got positioned for a shot on the fly. i dont rember any scent being deployed. again , i may be wrong. any body else see this show or ad?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices