Rubber tote

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

RE: Rubber tote

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes your scent lok suit will absorb any odor. I store mine in a seperate zip lock bag then in the same tote as the rest.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:16 am

I store all my camo in a rubber tote outside on the back porch, I use the large ziploc bags for all of my scent lok. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:27 am

I also had been using plastic totes for my hunting clothes until this season. I wanted something different, something more compact and see through, so I bought the plastic clothes bag from Cabela's. I think its put out and sold by Hunter Specialties, which cost's over $7.00 for one. I got it home opened it up and found it flimsy, kind of small, (i needed at least 1 more for my stuff) and the zip-loc zipper also was cheaply made.  I then recalled seeing the XXL Zip Loc bags. I found them at Lowes, 3 for $7.00, they are larger, thicker mil plastic, and the zip-loc zippper also is much stronger. Can't beat it. I returned the other to Cabela's.

No matter which type of bag or storage tote you use if it keeps your stuff scent free and you like it, use it! And using a pine branch or some leaves from your hunting area or soil and things stuffed into a ladies nylon so it won't spill out is a great way to keep your clothes smelling like the area you hunt.

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice just bought a tote it works great . I put a doe pee scent wafers in with my cloths it starting to absorb into all my things . I also thought zip lock bags were porous don't that the make your scent lock still absorb smells ?
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 am

I use totes when I can, but since I'm carrying a wife, 2 sons and 2 dogs in the truck with all our gear, things get a little tight.  I've resorted to using duffle bags lined with plastic garbage bags.  I use sodium bicarb sprinkled in.  When we get to the farm, I use a totes to sort the stuff out for the three of us. When I'm leaving camp to come home, the scent-sensitive stuff gets put back into the duffle bags for the trip home.

The last place I worked received a lot of heavy stuff in wooden crates.  I was able to snag several of them, painted them up and put lids on them. Their dimensions are like an army foot locker blown up 2-3X.  In the off-season, these crates take all the hunting gear sorted into garbage bags. The wood keeps the mice out. The bags keep scent from accumulating. Of course, I sprinkle in some sodium bicarb.

Since this is a hunting camp, some of the crates were dual-purposed into furniture.  One got varnished and had a back put on it, and sofa pillows re-covered for the top.  That one takes all the turkey gear, and it also serves as seating in the dining room.

Lastly, I have several nylon army surplus duffle bags that hold our  outerwear, and the other stuff that seldom sees a washing machine.  These duffles are waterproof and have backpack straps on the side.  When we are ready to leave for the stand, we throw our gear in these bags and head out.  We don't climb into our outermost layers until we're in the stand.  It saves us a lot of sweat and stink.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

SDArcher

Postby SDArcher » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 am

I like to put all my gear into a big cooler.  That way I know it is air tight and don't have to worry about any scents getting into it.  I just hang my clothes outside to make sure they are dry and then they go into the cooler.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 pm

The totes are great! I have one for hunting clothes and 3 other large ones for camping gear. Makes for quick loading when going camping.

Previous

Return to Best Practices