What Do You Do.........

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

What Do You Do.........

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:42 pm

To condition your self to stay on stand all day....

I go out to a stand that I don't plan to hunt until later in the season and sit..read...observe...practice slow movement and isolate each muscle I can while sitting...tighten and hold for 10 sec. then release I do this in ten reps on each muscle...if I don't condition my self to sit still for long periods my back gets so sore I can't stand it or I cramp up....water helps that though but always care pain killers with me incase....how about you?

Woods Walker

RE: What Do You Do.........

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

To condition your self to stay on stand all day....

I go out to a stand that I don't plan to hunt until later in the season and sit..read...observe...practice slow movement and isolate each muscle I can while sitting...tighten and hold for 10 sec. then release I do this in ten reps on each muscle...if I don't condition my self to sit still for long periods my back gets so sore I can't stand it or I cramp up....water helps that though but always care pain killers with me incase....how about you?

For me, badgie, this was always more a mental thing more than a physical one, although when it's cold I did do the isometrics that you mentioned to keep my circulation going.

I always chose my stands carefully, and many of them were stands that also had a history of producing shots. To keep my mental focus up, I'd use this knowledge, and then convince myself that seeing that I KNEW a deer would come by eventually, then the longer I went without seeing one, the GREATER the odds were becoming that I WAS going to see one.

Kinda like the reverse of the longer you go without seeing game, the more discouraged you become.

But I must also confess that when I got well into my 40's, then I had to stretch and move round a bit more, especially my legs and knees (which I am convinced I will outlive!!!)

Aleve is now a hunting kit mandatory item! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Wow, you guys are hardcore!  I drink beer with my buddies all night, and then take some Excedrin in the morning for the headache and to help me stay awake... [:D]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:49 pm

All I have to do to sit still in a uncomfortable stand is think back to marine corp boot camp and think about my drill instructor yelling at me to sit still if you move around too much the enemy is going to see you and then kill you... Still works for me..

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:24 am

I think general physical fitness is a greatly overlooked issue. Solid core strength, which is the foundation of any really fit person, can allow you to remain in a tight space for extended periods. Ever see a fighter pilot with a sloppy midsection?

Back in the day, when all I did was bench press, squats and arm curls, I suffered from chronic low back pain. Now I focus my efforts on my core. My low back can tolerate as much tree stand sitting as my ass can dish out.

It's one of my pet peves I guess. We spend so much time on target shooting, scouting, and food plot planting. We spend billions of dollars on clothing, arms and gear. But too many of us ignore our bodies and our hunting safety and success suffer!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:34 pm

may sound silly but i wont wear a jacket when it begins to get cooler to slowly build my tolerance to cold. have you ever noticed that in the fall 50 degrees makes you want a sweatshirt  but in the spring youll break out shorts and a t-shirt?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Good idea howhill...have you ever gone in before day light got set up in your stand or blind....relaxed waiting for the sun to come up all comfortable then.....as the horizon starts to lighten up you feel that first flow of COLD air...then within minutes it feels like the temp dropped 10 degrees?....The thought that all the cool evening air is running from the sun and I'm in the way.... pops into my head each time [;)]...that maybe the only time I'm really uncomfortable on stand...lucky that it last a short time......[:)]

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Good idea howhill...have you ever gone in before day light got set up in your stand or blind....relaxed waiting for the sun to come up all comfortable then.....as the horizon starts to lighten up you feel that first flow of COLD air...then within minutes it feels like the temp dropped 10 degrees?....The thought that all the cool evening air is running from the sun and I'm in the way.... pops into my head each time [;)]...that maybe the only time I'm really uncomfortable on stand...lucky that it last a short time......[:)]

Can anyone tell me why it gets colder right at sun up?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:29 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

All I have to do to sit still in a uncomfortable stand is think back to marine corp boot camp and think about my drill instructor yelling at me to sit still if you move around too much the enemy is going to see you and then kill you... Still works for me..
Now that is hardcore! I stand up every few hours to get the blood flowing through my legs.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Best Practices