Baits

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
WeekendWarrior

Baits

Postby WeekendWarrior » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey guys. I'm just trying to do a probe about the Wildgame Innovations acorn rage tree screw in attractant thing. It seems like it could be a practical attractant, but I haven't heard much about it. Anybody have any experience with it? Is it as good or better than just corn?

snafu177

RE: Baits

Postby snafu177 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Don;t know about that, but I have had good luck with the Trophy Rock ounce they find them.

flatpicker

Postby flatpicker » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 am

I have used corn but have mixed feelings about it. Some say it is not good for the deer.
Veteran Flatpicking Guitar Player
www.jdsguitars.com

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Some say it is not good for the deer.

???? Someone forgot to tell that to the deer of Illinois! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

NCdeerguy

Postby NCdeerguy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 am

I was about to ask the same question regarding that screw-in attractant. Thus far the only thing I've done as far as baiting is use corn and I've also bought cheap jars of peanut butter, put on some latex cloves and smeared globs of it on surrounding tree trunks. This has worked pretty well. I'm curious about the Wildlife Innovations screw-in stuff though...
Jeremy from NC
Tree hoppin' 'cross state from the mtns of Wilkes to the swamps of Halifax

kellory

Re: Baits

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:25 pm

They make a bracket for salt blocks that attach to a post or wall with a couple of nails or screws. They mount very well to trees! And a large jar of peanut butter just fits in it snuggly! :) I don't even worry about human sent on these things, They will lick the jar clean in a week or less. I don't get out to check them any sooner. I use the cheapest store brand stuff, and I will be putting up another one next trip out.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Only trouble is the raccoons go crazy over the peanut butter too. Put a camera there to see what's going on. You get some big raccoons there and they keep the deer away till they get their fill.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Racoons do not leave hoof prints, and tounge streaks though. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:03 am

Hey, I'm only telling you what I went through. I had plenty of hoof prints too and no raccoon tracks, but the proof was in the trail cam pics. When it comes to choice food those raccoons do get nasty. But hey, I hope you do not have such a problem.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Best Practices