If it was legal

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunter480

RE: If it was legal

Postby hunter480 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:12 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

No to shining, or jacklighting. The bait issue is up in the air. I'm sure most of us (I didn't say all of us) have baited in some shape or form. Urine, farm fields, food plots, or truck loads of feed which I'm not in favor of because it spreads disease.

Using urine and planting food plots is no more baiting than poaching is hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

That would be great, but also a little scary depending on where you live and what might also be hunting you. 

That'd make it even MORE awesome! 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Many years ago, when I used to trap as a young man, I'd get up well before dawn to run my line. In the winter when there was a full moon, and some snowcover, I could travel those woods and creeks with no flashlight once my twentysomething eyes got used to the dark.

On a quiet night, it was almost a surreal experience. I'd see deer, foxes, owls, coons, possums, skunks, and a whole menagerie of other creatures going about their livelihood that you don't usually see in the daylight.

I also had read accounts of Fred Bear and other early hunters who used to hunt at night using natural light, and although I wasn't hunting those creatures (at least with a bow/gun), it sure was close to it!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:09 pm

i agree to the full moon woods experincee. i used to get off second shift and go walk the woods at night in late winter early spring before everthing greened up.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:20 pm

It does give you a whole different perspective, doesn't it? Especially with ground that you know SO well that you think you know everything about it.......and you learn that you don't!

It makes me think of the old Moody Blues song from their "Nights In White Satin" album......

"Cold hearted orb
 Rules the night,
 Removes the colors from our sight.
 Black is gray, and yellow's white.
 But we decide which is right,
 And which is an illusion..."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]It does give you a whole different perspective, doesn't it? Especially with ground that you know SO well that you think you know everything about it.......and you learn that you don't! [/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]It makes me think of the old Moody Blues song from their "Nights In White Satin" album......[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]"Cold hearted orb[/size]
[size="3"] Rules the night,[/size]
[size="3"] Removes the colors from our sight.[/size]
[size="3"] Black is gray, and yellow's white.[/size]
[size="3"] But we decide which is right,[/size]
[size="3"] And which is an illusion..."[/size]

I have hunted bobcats and coons at night with the hounds, it is weird and the landscape diffrent at night..A buddy and me had to walk in many miles to a treed cat and when we were walking out got turned around, couldn't figure out where we were, when we came out we were about 20 yards from a road the whole time, in a place we been in 1000 times...But the emptyness at night in the snow is amazing...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:47 pm

.  We  do spot light surveys on our lease but we for sure don't do any shooting at deer.  I always figured that if you couldn't kill as many as you wanted to in the daylight  & in season you were a pretty sorry individual to go hunting them at night.  The only thing I hate worse than a poacher is a thieving poacher.  If left to me, and it often ain't, the ones we apprehend are persecuted and or prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. 

Also we hunt over bait here as it is legal.  Why does this question keep popping up?  Are there that many states where it is illegal?  How many are legal?  Really just curious......

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 pm

If it was legal to spot a deer at night that was  wounded during legal hunting hours..I would do it ,but it's not legal here, so I don't.  Otherwise , I see no need to hunt at night..or over a bait pile. Food plots are no different then a natural clover patch in a cow pasture, or a field of corn , beans, or oats.   You hunt the trails leading to the feedng area, because most of the deer will feed at night.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 am

NY is a no baiting state and no feeding of deer at all as well
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 am

Illinois is a no-bait state, and not only for hunting.

Due to CWD, they have also banned ANY kind of artificial feeding of deer. This means homeowners in residential areas, or any other type of do-gooder, and extends to mineral and salt blocks as well.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices