Opening Day

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

RE: Opening day

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Ya know Ive had my stands creek on me before too.. Its a real killer :(. Any how keep with her panman, Im sure your going to get plenty of other chances....Have you tryed sitting down and shooting?For years I have shot standing up. I noticed I get real shaky in the legs (buck feaver) when a deer comes in and Im standing.. If I sit its not as bad.. you should give it a try some time.. Good luck!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

jkuhn22

Postby jkuhn22 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 pm

I had 2 does come through at 7:30am and passed on them. Did not see anything else.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 am

Starting out slow I've been out twice now and haven't seen the first deer. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:56 am

[font=tahoma]Well, my buddy got busted by 3 does, 2 fawns and 2 other deer (he didn't see those two in time to tell if they were does or bucks) early in the morning.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]I missed a 25 yard, broad side shot at a big beautiful 8 point.  (I had a bad case of "Buck Fever", my heart was thumping so hard I could feel it in my ears.)  I rushed the shot and pulled it left and hit a tree.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]My other buddy bagged a nice doe which came in broadside from him at about 15 yards with her 2 fawns. [/font][/align]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Sometimes sit down, but in this homemade box blind I could not.  Will try to sit on a good buck though. Sounds good for shakes.  Well hope to see all of you on the bragging board soon.  Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Opening day starts Wed. here in MI, but i went out to finish everything with my stand about a week ago just to make sure all was well, and I decied to sit in it for the last few hours of daylight, I sat down at 5:02 and had a 4 point walk by 10 yards away on a well traveled trail at 5:22 and then had another buck (i couldn't tell if it was the same one) start snorting at me around 6:04, he didn't spook though, i couldn't tell where he went he was behind me, then at 6:40 i heard possibly the same one start making a scrape. I made a few more shooting lanes over where i heard the buck(s) the next day, Hopefully more than just that 4 pt in using that trail, it sure looks like it, I'm pretty excited for Wed morning! I'm already having a hell of a time trying to get to sleep at night!

WayneL

RE: Opening Day

Postby WayneL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:09 pm

I was in Pound Ridge and I think someone forgot to tell the deer that it was opening day because they didn't show up. I seen a nice 8 pointer in someone's yard on my way to the spot so we were excited about the day. That was the LAST deer I seen ALL day. I guess today is another day.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

deerbuster73

Postby deerbuster73 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:21 pm

Good NY opener for me and some of my buddies. Out of our group we got one doe two 7 points and a 6 point. We were all hunting different areas. Everyone I talked to all saw deer and most saw some bucks. Deer were moving real well i think this cool temputure is helping a ton I cant wait to get back out tommorow. I saw some small bucks and one shooter buck. Could of shot a number of small ones but the good buck stayed just out of range. Ill keep on him. Goodluck to everyone else.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Of course, like usual, I was in the wrong place. Didn't see anything but squirrels yesterday afternoon. Perfect day to be out. Got home around 7 and my buddy left a phone message. Around 5:30pm he was on his way back from fishing on Cayuga and as he went by the land we hunt on, he said there was a 10 pter standing on the opposite side of the road looking like it was going to cross. And there I was a 1/4 mile away and running out of daylight! My luck.

There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:40 am

Muzzleloader week was good ,shot a doe on day 2,shot a bear on day 3 and let 3 does go on day 4.Opening weekend of regular season saw 1 deer.Too many hunters with atvs .
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to Best Practices