Opening Day

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Ramrod

RE: Opening Day

Postby Ramrod » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 am

Just got back from 4 days in Adirondacks, Pillsbury Mt. saw 1 small 8 or 6 pt. only Deer seen. Bear & Moose tracks in remnants of remaining snow. To warm, 53 over night lows and highs in upper 60s.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Good luck TwistedX. It is FINALLY here! I am about to get my gear ready, load the deer cart onto the truck and get some rest. Weatherman calls for thunder showers tomorrow down here in Cincy area so I hope I can at least get a couple hours on the stand in the morning.

Good luck and have a great season!

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:04 am

Got out this morning. It was wet from overnight rain and foggy but only had a couple quick sprinkles while in the stand. Mostly the trees were noisy from all the rain dripping off the leaves. It sure kept my senses tuned in! My seat pad was soaked, and I did not have a towel. Made for an uncomfortable sit. Saw a few squirrels, had one sitting on a branch about 10 foot away from me just staring at me. No deer sighted EXCEPT when I got off the stand at 11:00, was maybe 100 yards on the edge of the field heading for my truck when I spooked a huge buck (or it spooked me!) that was headed down another trail right toward my stand! Uuuhg! Hopefully he lives long enough for me to see him again, this time in my sights.

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 pm

I couldnt agree with you more Scott. There is something special about it. I have been lucky enough to harvest a deer on that morning with the people who have taught me alot off what i know about hunting.
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

Easy A

Opening Day

Postby Easy A » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 am

So Bow season started this past weekend in N.C., needless to say I was so stoked get back in the saddle !!! I felt like a million bucks just sitting in the treestand... weather was awesome I sat from 5:45 to 10:00 and the temp was a constant 60 degrees with overcast skies...no luck though not even a hint of a deer... I sat in a stand that is a guranteed encounter during the fall... I'm thinking these deer move throughout the land the in the same pattern as always but are just using a different block more right now in the early season... any advice on deer use of an area during the early season in comparison to the mid and late ???

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

hunted Saturday AM & PM & Sunday AM With temps in the 50's in Hertford Co. was like a kid on Christmas morning. Saw a total of 6 deer, 1 cow horn a 3 pointer, small 7 & 3 does. Oh well going back this Friday evening & will be trying it again til Sat evening, can't wait! good luck to all.

Easy A

Postby Easy A » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am

well good luck buddy... by the way I'm out in Chatham Co. no advice ???

Previous

Return to Best Practices