Eradicating Coyotes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
wisbooner3932

Eradicating Coyotes?

Postby wisbooner3932 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:57 pm

This year showed a population explosion of coyotes on my Grandpa's farm here in southern Wisconsin.  Anyone here that hunt/trap them have any tips?  It is legal to hunt them at night here but you cant use a spotlight until the point of kill (thats what Im told at least, correct me if I'm wrong).  I was thinking of going out at night with my .270 and thwack 'em under the snow glistened moonlight; I dont really care if I blow their pelts to pieces, I just want them dead.  I have a distressed rabbit call that I bought a few years back but never felt inclined enough to get out until this year.

I was also thinking of setting out some traps but I don't know what size to get.  Cable restraints are also legal but I don't know a great deal about them either.  While shining this year we saw a LOT around and I also saw a couple during bow season but they were just out of range.  I used to always hear pheasants cackling on every hunt, fall or spring turkey hunting, but didn't hear a single one this year nor have I seen any rabbits in recent years.  I'm starting to wonder if their presence is taking a hit on the deer herd, although a lot of other factors go into reduced deer numbers.  After a little research I found mixed reviews of how they can impact a deer herd; some people claimed they can really take out a lot of deer (obviously mostly fawns) while others said they hardly touch deer.  I come to believe its somewhere inbetween but none the less there are way too many of them around.  Anyone have tips for taking the varments out?
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

LaCatahoula

RE: Eradicating Coyotes?

Postby LaCatahoula » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:27 pm

In my experience with coyotes they are very hard to get rid of. My father has been running coyotes in large pens for years and he now has a small pen for training puppies and he pays about $75.00 for a female and $50.00 for a male. They have a very keen sence of smell and are very leary of people and human scent. I have killed a few while deer hunting. I sure wish you luck with them they are everywhere.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Hmm... well good luck! From what I have heard and read is that the only effective way of controlling coyotes is trapping and/or poisoning. I would find a good PROFESSIONAL trapper in the area. While hunting 'yotes is pretty fun it really doesn't help curb the population. I have actually heard to the contrary. Hunting and removing a few adult coyotes that are dominant in the area can actually attract more subordinate coyotes to your area increasing your population. From what I know coyotes are pretty territorial. 
Ducks

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:21 am

i have the same problem i'm taking some out i just bought this to watch for night time hunting coyotes  http://www.ultimatepredatortv.com/index.htm
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

BamaHunter

Postby BamaHunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Good luck.  They are hard to control.  Alabama has no closed season and you shoot them but for each one you take out there seems to be 3-4 more to take their place.  Take out what you can it seems to be the only way to control them to a small extent.  Maybe give a pro trapper who wants pelts access to your land.  Let them do their thing for a few months and see if it helps. 

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 am

It seems like everyone you talk to in any state is complaining of coyotes. I think they are out of control with over population. I know it is a problem by me. All last year from August to the middle of January I never saw a fawn or had one show up on my cameras. And others that hunt the property said that they hadn't seen any all season either. In past years at this farm almost every adult doe would at least have 1 fawn with her. This year I saw 1 fawn, a button buck. Last week, one afternoon I had 8 mature does go by me with no fawns. I know in this area it is a definite problem. Took a walk today in one part of the property and saw more coyote tracks than deer tracks. It seems that in the last 5yrs, the population by me has taken a big jump. I would say if you do not have a coyote problem you soon will.

If you or someone can come accross a road kill use that for coyote bait. They will come to that for sure, but mostly at night, depending how hungry they are. If you have a good long range rifle, put up a blind, or use snow camo if there is snow, and pick some off. Be sure to stake the carcass down, or they will drag it off.     
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

piebal

Postby piebal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Coyotes are a problem up here but the feast on peoples pets the live right in surburbia i saw the same coyote go from driveway to driveway forget about controlling just grab the screamin rabbit and the 223 have some fun in the open country away from houses.
after deer season im on the prowel foe them we can hunt them 11 months out of the year spring is a good time they need food for there pups shoot the parents cant feed the pups. Seems that spring they are a little more aggressive to the call than the winter the are a little more cautious the are just as hard to kill than a deer.

piebal

Postby piebal » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 pm

1/1/11 went out on my first coyote hunt of the year for the crafty k9 ....i was armed with a marlin 22 long 14 shot semi and a screamin rabbit call.
i was huntin in a 90 acre rye field i did a 10 second sequence waited 10 seconds started my second sequence immediately after starting the second sequence i had a yote come from my right he galloped to 25 yards broadside i barked he stopped and fed him a round to the chest immediately started callin again and 2 yotes came from my left and went after the first one that was flip flopin in the field well quess what happend two those two k9's you got it.... they got popped to. so a triple on the first day of the year 3 less coyotes on the land and one of them was a 55 pound alpha male

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:38 am

great job i've been out 4 times last year got none during deer season i got 3 last year this year none, but i seen and heard lots, i'll be heading out soon as snow is back on the ground, wish me luck the best coyote is a dead one
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:50 am

I've had them on and off for the past 10 years.  They seem to know deer season is about to happen and show up for the leftovers.  After a while, they go away and you don't hear them or see any sign for 6 months. 

When they're around, they can be a real pain.  They frequently follow me when I'm on the way to and from hunting.  Occasionally, they'll try and make a pass at my turkey decoys or stalk me when I'm squirrel hunting.  I know they can't hurt me, but still!  Every one that gets close enough gets whacked.

Good luck with hunting.  Look up Varmint Al on the web.  He's a really good resource for coyote knowledge.  I hunt with his bi-furpod.

As to their effect on deer and turkey, I really can't say.  I used to think they were going to do serious damage, but the turkey numbers keep going up and the deer herd keeps improving.  I can't say they have any ostensible effect on game.

On house pets?  That's another issue entirely.  They eat any cat or dog they get their hands on, and will eat a dog right off it chain.  They also spread Parvo.  The coyote numbers crashed about 5 years ago with Parvo, and it took a lot of the neighbor dogs with them.  Be careful.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to Best Practices