Eradicating Coyotes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ccoutdoors

RE: Eradicating Coyotes?

Postby ccoutdoors » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:52 pm

If you got the alpha male now is your chance. Till the pack  has another, the in fighting and lack of experience of the new leader can give you a chance to put a hurt on the pack.

piebal

Postby piebal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm

CCoutdoors
you hit the nail ony he head tere are still quite a few according to the snow and it will cause probs for the pack sprcialy breeding season next mo. im headed out tommorow to the same place next to a sheep farm the coyotes love it over ther and so dont i glad i shot the three i educated ther are so weary when you educate them they have there masters degree in steathly movement and smarts..

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:36 pm

If Your going to Hunt Coyotes You need to get any surrounding Neighbors to also join in to help erradicate them...this summer I shot 2 female Yotes and 1 male...this Winter I called in another young female Coyote and took her out with my .243 Browing Rifle.Towards the end of this month (Jan) we are having a Predator Contest to help thin out the Coyotes,Foxes and Bobcats.The worst are the Coyotes because they will prey on the Turkeys and Young new-born Fawns.I use a small Johny Stewart Electronic Caller and a styrofoam rabbit decoy to call in a Coyote,the more elaborate decoys are the ones with the wiggling tail and fur for motion and the Flambeau Coyote Decoy is said to be pretty good also...?I'm thinking about getting me one of those next! 

piebal

Postby piebal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 am

Good news we just had 2 inches of fresh snow that got me out of bed at 530 to get set up by 6am for another round of k9 killin. Armed with my 22 marlin semi and screamin rabbit i headed to the same spot that i dropped 3 a week ago. well i took a pup and another 40pound male this morning thats 5 yotes in the same spot...ya think there are some coyotes over there....going to a new spot tonight with the fresh snow im pumped i feel like im in the mid west

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:50 am

We have one more week of deer season left then I can turn the dogs loose on the yotes. I always wait till after deer season just to keep peace in the neighborhood but then its on. My dogs know its time and they are anxcious to get some fur in their mouths. Some of the other guys have already started and say that the yotes are starting to rut a little. They have been killin 3--4 yotes a day with the dogs. I cant wait! As much as I love deer hunting I love running yotes with the dogs even more!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Congratulations Piebal,sounds like Your in a hot spot to nail that many Coyotes?Stay after them,before long You'll gain on them! [:D] [;)]

A Friend of mine took me out today to do some Scouting for the Up-coming Predator Contest,we went on some Public Land and did a little calling to see if anything was moving?We found several tracks but didn't call anything in because it was pretty windy and cold...still it was fun to go out and check out some new land!

Got a cool story for Everyone here at D & DH....I went out the other day on our Farm and set up my foam Rabbit Decoy and electronic caller,ran it for a while on the rabbit in distress call,then I switched over to the Rodent squeels...suddenly I saw something from up above swoop down and try to attack my electronic caller?A very large Owl heard the Rodent squeaks and nailed it thinking it was a Rodent/Mouse,it turned and flew back up into the tree's a few yards down from my stand...all I could do was laugh and set the caller to Coyote Yelps and Howls so it wouldn't attack it again and possibly carry the small caller off? Yikes!!! [&:] [:@] [:)]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Update on Predator Derby/Contest:

We had 51 Teams entered in the Contest,102 Misc Hunters and Trappers total went after Coyotes,Bobcats and Foxes that were in Season.There were several Teams that tagged a combination of Foxes,Bobcats and Coyotes so over-all it was a great success.My Partner and I ended up getting a nice Tan and White female Coyote that I shot on the first morning of our Hunt,we also called in an older Grey-colored Coyote but didn't get a shot off at it.My Neighbor is a full time Trapper and he skinned the Coyote out and sent it off to be tanned to hang on my Log Wall.Since the Contest  my Partner and I have been going out Hunting Coyotes that are still in Season til the end of March I believe?We have permission on several parcels of Land around our County and will continue to learn more as we try new and different calls and decoys to draw in the elusive Coyotes! [:)] [;)]

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 pm

We had a group from Minnesota come coyote hunt our land along with many other parcels of land.  They had tracking dogs and I was able to watch how great there dogs were.  They ended up with 6 coyotes in our area which should put a hurt on the population.
Scott

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am

I would put an ad in the paper and/or spread the word that you are looking for a trapper, they already have traps and the skills. Go with him to set the traps to educate yourself. As time goes on you can get a few traps of you own.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm

As far as trapping them i have been told its very very difficult.They are pretty wary animals.Hunting them would prob.be a better option.I know the guys that are succesful tell me they like to wire a deer carcass to a fence post and capitalize on some higher ground for kill shot.The screaming rabbit calls are good with a decoy,maybe a yote decoy by that even better? im not sure ....i can tell you this i have mimicked their howl before and they howl back ...as far as deer ...i might draw some opposition but i have watched fawns feed in a cornfield while a coyote crossed 50 maybe 60 yds away...he stopped they stopped...looking at each other then he kept going and the deer kept feeding...my experience is they usually have enough rabbits,coons,cats,mice,chipmunks,birds to catch that a deer is secondary....until....shotgun season then they start smelling all the gut piles and will take advantage of a wounded or crippled deer-anyway good luck-JON

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices