Deer Check Stations

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bullminner

RE: Deer Check Stations

Postby bullminner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Delaware has a phone in registration. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it yet. The State Parks have a mandatory ranger check of your first doe to make you buck eligible.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 pm

I hunt in two places, Northern VT and Southern Quebec, and both have reporting stations. In Quebec, it is very inconvenient because the check stations are few and far between. We have to travel about 35 minutes to get to the closest one.

In Vermont, at least in the rural Northeast Kingdom, every town has a check station and all of the town clerks can check in deer as well. I love the way it's done here. Most of the reporting stations will take pictures of the deer and have them displayed and any deer being reported usually brings a crowd. It's a lot of fun! It's always fun to see the pictures of deer your neighbors and friends get. I usually will try to match the bucks that I have on my trail cam with the ones that were reported and give the successful hunter a live photo of his deer.

dewey

Postby dewey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:00 pm

In Minnesota you are required to register your deer or other big game. MN has also had big game check stations at gas stations for as long as I can remember and this year the MNDNR added the telephone & internet big game registration. I used the telephone registration when driving home from our hunt and it was unbelievably easy to use and register your deer.[:D] Call the number and answer some automated questions and then write down the confirmation number.

Here is a link to the MNDNR online and telephoen registration procedures for those who are interested to see what MN does.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/harvestreg.html

In MT you are required to stop at big game check stations whether you harvest an animal or not but if you do not come across one of these stations you are not required to register your game

In my opinion I think registration of big game should be mandatory so that way the DNR can keep an accurate count of how many animals are being harvested and where from.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 pm

in Ohio, you are required to take 'em to a checking station
muzzysquirrel

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Indiana mandates that all white-tails are checked in at a DNR regulated check-in station within 48 hours of the kill......
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 am

I'm a Buckeye that has moved all my hunting to Kentucky.  One of the reasons is the telecheck system.  You call an 800 number, enter a few items:  species, sex, antler, public or private land,  and county.  You get back a number.  You have to keep that number associated with the deer when you give it to a processor or taxidermist.  Simple, easy-- everyone has to do it.  It beats having to schlep a deer around looking for a check station that's open.

A lot of guys in KY don't like the telecheck.  They think it lends itself to cheating.  The answer to that is that if you're not inclined to call in to a 800 number, what makes anyone think you'd drive all the way into town to check it?    Additionally, there's now a website where you can see what you and all your neighbors have checked in.  You see your neighbor pulling out a big buck on Saturday and on Monday, you check the site and see he's called it in as doe.  There's a tip line, and it gets used a lot now.

Living in Cincinnati, I have the option of IN, OH, and KY  all within a half-hour of the house.  I have not hunted IN in 20 years and my last Ohio buck was in '98.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 am

Like hunter480 says, Indiana requires registration at a check station within 48 hours. The problem is, the people at the check station don't get paid to do this. As a result, they merely fill out the registration book, and hand you a tag to put on the deer yourself. They don't even go out side to look at it. I believe you can register a deer without even having it with you. You can also register a deer for someone else as long as they "designate" you as their agent. (For instance, I can drive to town and register a deer that my wife shot.) How is that better than phoning in to a check number? With gas prices where they're at, I wish the state would go to at least an optional call in number. Those who have unlimited resources could still drive around to register if they so choose. Sorry about the hijack. This thread is supposed to be about what system your state uses.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 am

CT is in it's 2nd year with a Tele-check system. You can call or go on line and check your deer within 24 hours of the kill. The first 7 days of Rifle seaseon, however, it is still mandatory to bring your deer to a check station.

The one new feture I like ( I think), is that all hunters are now issued a conservation number for life. A hunter can go online and review all the kills made over the years.

Seems to be working so far.

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am

ORIGINAL: Rutnut

The one new feture I like ( I think), is that all hunters are now issued a conservation number for life. A hunter can go online and review all the kills made over the years.

That seems like a very good idea to keep track of how many deer you have harvested over the years.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

This season will be Ohio's first year without checkin stations. Computer and an 800 number option. Personally, I'm glad not to have to look around for a checkin station at the end of a long day. Poachers will continue to poach like they always did and honest people will be honest and use the system. Not sure if the neighbor's results will be on line here in Ohio, but that could be a deterrent to poaching as Shaman said. Looking forward to a great year.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices