What color arrows?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bowman12

RE: What color arrows?

Postby bowman12 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 am

I'm surprised nobody has said lumenocks. I don't shoot them but am seriously looking into it this year. The videos look awesome for seeing or finding your arrow. I need to look at how expensive they are though.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 pm

they're about $10 each. I saw a three pack last year for $24.99, didn't buy them but did use one last year that my buddy let me borrow. They are pretty neat, unnecessary, but neat.

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:31 pm

I use Lumenoks and they're great! I was practicing in my back yard and I punched the release and my arrow went in the ground. If I hadnt used the lumenok, I wouldnt have found my arrow.

You can see your arrow better in flight and after it hits your target. You can see if your arrow is flying straight and not fish taling or anything.

The only thing is you have to make sure the metal connectors get enough connection or they will flicker or go out. But if you have a good connection theyre very bright.

If you shoot a deer with it in daylight and cant find your arrow, all you have to do is wait till dark and the lumenok will still be shining and bright. Theyre suppose to last for 40 hours but you can buy new batteries if needed.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 pm

I use a flourescent green cock vane with the other two vanes being flourescent orange. The only time I can see or really look for the arrow in flight is just before it strikes the target. Since I hunt from a stand most of the time there is little chance of losing an arrow. They are sometimes tricky to find if the deer carries it off before it comes out, but usually not impossible.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Black and white vanes on a black arrow. Not very creative, I know. lol I try very hard to not try to see my arrow in flight when I shoot at a deer. Leads to bad habits of droping your bow arm too soon throwing off your shot. Same with where the arrow impacted the deer. When I release, I can pretty much tell you if I'm on mark or not. Consintrate on exactly which way the deer ran. What downed tree did he jump over, where was the absolute last spot you saw him? Get the compass and range finder out. Chances are, he's not far from the last place you saw him if you were really paying attention.
Your arrow should be sticking out of the ground on the opposite side of where the deer was standing when you released. Or, you'll find it during the track. The arrow is my last concern.

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Im with you SoILL Dawg, I go with two pink and one orange, giggle if you want.

Pink shows up in all conditions, I do not care about others questioning my masculinity.
[quote]ORIGINAL: SoIll Dawg
"Freedom Isn't Free"

ggillett

Postby ggillett » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 am

All white fletching with a white wrap. It allows you to see what kind of blood you have on your arrow, along with easier visability in the air and on the ground. Top it off with a Tracer Nock, and you will find every arrow!

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 am

White EZE Crest with a deer head for looks with 2 white 2 inch Fusion vanes and a black Fusion cock vane. Last year I shot 2 white as well and sometimes use all 3 white.They look great sticking in the ground dripping with frothy lung blood.
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:32 pm

For my Kodiak Mag: 2 white and 1 red 5 inch feathers.  Originally bought for more visibility  but used this year because its what I had on hand. 

For my longbow:  currently the same red and white (left over from last year) but one of these days I will be ordering some charteuse yellow 4 inchers.  Going to try a 4 feather fletch just for something different.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

MuzzleHeadWayne

Postby MuzzleHeadWayne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 pm

I use white, four inch duravanes for the hens and cock. With florescent orange knocks. It's pretty easy to tell where you hit the animal by the color of blood on the arrow when you find it. If you hunt in woods like I do, you rarely see where the animal falls. The color of the blood on the vanes and or bubbles lets me know how far to expect to walk. The first set of arrows I bought had florescent green vanes, the only color available for the weight and brand arrow I shoot...it was like trying to find Michael Bloomberg at an NRA convention.
Did ya ever notice, the best tasting meats always come in their natural wrappings?

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices