ground blind stinks!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunt4fun

ground blind stinks!

Postby hunt4fun » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 am

I recently purchased a ground blind and after leaving it outside for a couple weeks (we had good rainfall too) and spraying it down with scent eliminator, I still can't get that rubber smell out of the inside.  Any suggestions?

retiredsailor

RE: ground blind stinks!

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:01 am

Can't imagine why the rubber smell continues to linger after several weeks outside. Perhaps if you tried setting it up again outside, with some baking soda liberally spread around inside, that might help. Am assuming that you left the windows and front panel unzipped and open so air could flow through. Haven't experienced that problem with the two I have.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:10 am

I'm thinking get yourself some double bean burritos, a bunch of deviled eggs, wash it down with cheap beer, and hang out in the blind for a spell. Then it won't smell like rubber.

Seriously though, Did you notice if there is a difference between having it in the sun versus having it in the shade? A buddy of mine kept his pop-up blind in the sun and got a strong rubber/chemical smell out of it, but when he relocated it into the shade the smell decreased noticibly. That shaded blind helped a handicapped friend of ours bag a decent buck last year. Good luck. I hope you get it right.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:46 pm

rub some scent loc clothes all over it, they're magic!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks for the tips so far.  I did unzip all the windows so air could get in.  It is in the sun part of the day and gets shade from a tree probably the other half.  If the sun heats it up and makes it stink, I think I would want to keep it in the sun and kind of "bake" the smell out of it, but thats something to keep in mind when I can actually set it up for hunting.  I think I will try the baking soda.  I have also heard of trappers using apple cider vinegar on traps to get rid of smell so I might try that as well.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:24 pm

close it up and put a bunch of paper in it newspaper or what ever paper has to be alot not a couple sheets paper soaks up smells like a refridgerator that has been turned off works great
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm

ORIGINAL: hunt4fun

I recently purchased a ground blind and after leaving it outside for a couple weeks (we had good rainfall too) and spraying it down with scent eliminator, I still can't get that rubber smell out of the inside.  Any suggestions?

Well, if you really think deer have a built in genetic aversion to Rubber/Plastic ... throw a few chickens in there, zip it up, & I betcha that rubber/plastic smell will be well camouflaged after 48 hours. [;)]

Return to Best Practices