deer calls

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

deer calls

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

im wondering what noisemaker to get. does it differ from season and/or location? what has worked for you in the past?
muzzysquirrel

Proline

RE: deer calls

Postby Proline » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm

What I need to get is a good DVD on calling so I know what type of grunt/bleat/estrus bleat to make and when and the frequency. ANy ideas?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:46 pm

All those calls work well when used at the right time, usually around the peak rut in your area. I personally like using the doe bleat call. I have had bucks and does come in to check it out when I used it. I have also used the snort-wheeze and had it work. I never had luck with a grunt tube or rattling, however, I watched a couple bucks fight this last fall and got a better understanding on how they battle. Both fights I witnessed lasted about 15-25 seconds and were violent and noisy for that short period of time. That got other bucks to come on immediately to check out what the ruckus was. I figured that I was rattling too much for to long and never had good results because of it. Good luck, hope this advice will help a little.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Huntin Farmland

Postby Huntin Farmland » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Have never had much luck with calls until this year (Gun hunting only so far-after the rut.). A Couple of weeks ago I used a grunt call as a last resort to turn a buck who was steps away from crossing a fenceline. A couple loud grunts on the tube he turned and was on the ground 10 seconds later. I have the primos buck roar (see it on deer hunting videos a lot) and the flextone bone collector (used that one this year). Both of these call have the ability for a snort wheeze as well.
Genesis 9:3 �Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.�

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:43 pm

I like the grunt call to get a buck's attention ONLY if he is obviously passing me by.  I've also had a lot of bucks respond to an estrous doe call around the rut... i like the can type personally.  Never had a buck come in to my rattle bag, but i've never used a real set of antlers to rattle.

The big thing to remember is timing.  You know how weird it would be to hear Christmas music in July?  That's what an estrous doe bleat would sound like in September to a deer...  I've also tried to implement the "less is more" philosphy.  I figure if I make too much noise i can easily scare a deer away... but if i only make a small amount of noise they may not spook even if they aren't drawn in

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Proline,
Peter Fiduccia has an excellent DVD out on calling deer. Visit his website http://www.woodsnwater.tv/index.cfm?video=193 to see some calling videos. There is also an excellent DVD out by Primos . They sell it at Cabelas

Proline

Postby Proline » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks you Wanderer.

BamaHunter

Postby BamaHunter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am

Depends on many things, but they do work.  I'm in the deep south.  Rattlng and snort wheeze typically do not work around here.  Tooo many does for there to be any real competition.
Grunts and bleats tend to work well pre, prime and post rut.
DVD's will show you the various ways and sounds to reproduce authenticity.  The grunt tubes out now are very realistic.  Primos seems to have the best grunt and bleat products IMO along with how to DVD's/CD's.

Swampbuckdown

Postby Swampbuckdown » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Calls can be funny. Some guys use one type and swear by it, and some guys use the same call and never get a deer to show up.

I have had rattling work well for me. I have had buck grunt work well. I actually have had several times bow hunting, I will see a buck crossing a couple hundred yards away and grunt hard. He stops. He starts up, I grunt hard again. Then he stops, turns and starts walking right to me. Have used that several times in mid-oct thru early/mid nov. Rattling seems to work for me about the same time frame.

For does, I love the cheap "social deer call" grunt. That pins on your jacket. I have had many single does come in for a look after calling once.

Paul Blackburn

Postby Paul Blackburn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Deer calls can work magic -- anytime of the season. They may work best pre rut ; the last two week in Oct., and the first two weeks in Nov..They are some that work better than others. I like Knight & Hales best, and I like the can also. But for calls to work best, one needs to be where there is enough deer to hunt. If htere is no deer you can't call one in.! Give the a try at those times of the season , and you should have better luck.

Next

Return to Best Practices