.22?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
1Morgan

.22?

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 am

Our bobcat/fox season opens at the end of this month. I want to mount one and was going to use a .22 so I don't damage it too much. Deer season is still in through Jan 1. Would anyone recommend shooting a deer with a .22 (it is legal here). If so, where should the shot placement be? or should I just bring 2 rifles?
South Carolina Low Country

JPH

RE: .22?

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am

ORIGINAL: 1Morgan

Our bobcat/fox season opens at the end of this month. I want to mount one and was going to use a .22 so I don't damage it too much. Deer season is still in through Jan 1. Would anyone recommend shooting a deer with a .22 (it is legal here). If so, where should the shot placement be? or should I just bring 2 rifles?

First off, DO NOT SHOOT A DEER WITH A RIMFIRE .22! I cannot even imagine why that would be legal! Unless you hit the deer in the brain, your chances of making a recovery are very slim. It is inhumane and a very bad idea from a practical standpoint.

As for bringing two rifles? I dunno about that either. As a basic safety rule, carrying a firearm requires one's undivided attention. Carrying two firearms (long arms anyway) would by nature divide your attention. I would think doing this would greatly increase the chances of an accident.

If your taxidermist has any skill, he should be able to repair the wound created by a legitimate deer caliber. I have a buddy sho put a Muzzy 3-blade right through a bobcat's head. You cannot even see the lines in the mount. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 am

I've killed deer with a .22, but that was to finish them off after they'd been hit by a car. I hold the end of the muzzle right on the skull just above the eyes so I cannot miss the center brain. But that's about as far as I'd go with a .22 to kill a deer with.

Why not carry a side arm .22 in addition to your deer rifle?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am

Mike Snell (x-DNR) told us to use a hammer on a deer caught in our yard fence.  I wish I could have recorded him to play it back here for puns.

We didnt use a hammer to say the least, and we turned that deer into suasage. 

[:D]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Do not use a .22 to kill deer. It is Illegal in WI, I dont know about other states. I know jackasses that will sit and argue that you can shoot them in the head and kill them with a 22 caliber sniper style. I want to beat those type of people with a tire iron.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I've killed deer with a .22, but that was to finish them off after they'd been hit by a car. I hold the end of the muzzle right on the skull just above the eyes so I cannot miss the center brain. But that's about as far as I'd go with a .22 to kill a deer with.

Why not carry a side arm .22 in addition to your deer rifle?

WW,
With your ground hunting skills, I would think you should be able to get that close while hunting as well.[:D][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:38 pm

I agree with dont shoot a deer with a .22. Bad idea. If you're hunting in a stand or a blind where you're just hanging out all day and not doing a bunch of walking, I would consider just bringing the .22 and your regular deer rifle, assuming that's legal in your parts. If you're going to walk around a lot while hunting, then I wouldn't want to struggle with two guns, thats an accident waiting to happen, but just carrying two to the stand I wouldn't see a problem with. I also agree though that a good taxidermist will be able to patch up the hole from a deer rifle. With a bigger caliber on a smaller animal I would take a body shot because a head shot might create more damage than you want for a mount, but I think a body shot would be fine. Ive shot smaller animals with deer size cartridges and normally get a nice pass through without tearing the exit up too badly.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Would not use a .22 to kill a deer. About taking two gun maybe, if you are still hunting. As for the deer gun. What cal. I would think about FMJ or soilds in your deer gun less damage. FMJ or soild should pass right through.
Robert

shad309

Postby shad309 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

That caliber & .22 magnum is the choice gun for poachers. Small, lightweight, quieter at night, & will kill a deer. Ask any Wildlife Officer and they will tell you the same.

I would not use it as you will need a brain shot to make a kill- any slight miss and you wound the deer. Not very sportsmanlike.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's what I figured, I might just bring the T/C Contender .44. I didn't even think about just carrying it with the .22.

My deer rifles are a .25-06 and a 7MM Mag. The .25-06 might be okay but the 7mag is really too much for a deer.
South Carolina Low Country

Next

Return to Best Practices